Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I just wanted to tell you...

- that Spencer got baptized last Saturday and it was a beautiful event.  He was beaming the whole time.  And therefore so was I.


- that my camera is BROKEN! Down right dead the night before Thanksgiving.   Even after taking it completely apart, the lens still does not want to budge- in or out.


- that it is cold.  Idaho? December? Go figure.


- that thanks to a major dumpage of snow we have not yet gone into the mountains to get our ever so desired Christmas tree.     We are suffering greatly.


- that Kate has impetigo (one spot on her chin, but was (hopefully not still now) highly contagious).  I sent her to school today.  She has missed so much school lately.  Today is only her 4th day going to school since November 11th.    She and Spencer both missed 5 days when we were in Hawaii (they were with my parents).


- that I'm loving Weston not being the Young Men's President anymore.  He's with us on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings (and no more overnight camp outs, Scout camps, or 50-milers).  I'm selfish.


- that despite Kate missing so much school, the teacher told me today that she is basically in the 2nd grade.  1st grade for math, but everything else 2nd grade.  That is the benefit of a teeny school, folks (well, one of them anyway).

- that I forgot that my visiting teachers were coming this morning and they showed up with me and my 2 littles still in our jammies and to a messy house. LOVE that.  Embarrassed?  Um, yep.

- that Jiles just ate the entire core of his apple (minus the stem)


- that sometimes I feel like left-aligning my text.

-  that I 'm looking for a new camera.






And let me just talk about cameras for a minute, if I may.  (Of course I may! It's my blog!)
Yeah, so...
I LOVED my now-broken one.  My Canon PowerShot sx100 i-s.
It was great.  I want to get it fixed so that it will be great once more.


 But since it is defunct for the time being, and since my Valentine's gift - you know, that day 10 months ago - was to go pick me out a nice SLR camera, I still want to get one.
An SLR.
  I think that I've chosen one after searching and talking to the dude at the camera store (a valid camera store with knowledgeable staff - not Walmart).
It's this one:

The Pentax k-x.  The one that I'm looking at on this site comes with 2 lenses:  an 18-55 mm and a 55-300 mm.
Gotta love that zoom.
That man at the camera store (who is also a professional photographer) was trying to sell me on it.  He said that it takes just as good of a picture as the other guys, but it comes with a much more reasonable price tag.  Pentax doesn't spend hardly anything on advertising (i.e. no Andre Agassi).
But here is my hangup:  I am a Canon girl.  I love my little Canon and have been very pleased with Canon's service.   I've read good reviews on Pentax (on both this particular camera and on other Pentaxes), but I don't know anyone that has one (at least I don't think that I do).  Does anyone out there (that is reading this anyway) have a Pentax?  Like it? Love it? Hate it?
I am itching to click the 'add to cart' button on the Pentax k-x, but I guess I feel like I need a testimonial or opinion before I commit.

Any advice/opinions?


Peace out.



Photobucket

10 comments:

Keri said...

Oh I was hoping to hear that your were pregnant not camera less. Though the news of spencer's baptism made the whole post worth while.

In my opinion Pantax is not the best camera in the world. will it work and do the job...yes, but in my opinion when it comes to getting your moneys worth I would say go with cannon. whatever you get will be better then being cameraless by far. good luck

Keri said...

pentax.... I mean sorry my fingers type faster then my brain.

Dan said...

We are Cannon fans too! I love your sx100is photos. In my opinion you should go with the cannon g12. It will take amazing photos but it's not as bulky as an dslr, less expensive depending on how you price the dslrs. And because it isn't as bulky you'll use it more.

I think a lot of people think they will use a dslr more because they'll have a dslr but in my opinion the real difference is in the convenience. A dslr doesn't fit in a purse and that makes a big difference on taking our dslr or leaving it. I'm a huge fan of the cannon g series. Its got all the manual functions if you want them.

If you can get a g11 or g12 for cheap off ebay or from a friend you can get it repaired for 1/2 or less of the cost of a new one.

Laurie said...

Dan has a K20D and his dad has the K-x. The K-x is being replaced with the K-r, so you might consider the newer model, even if it's a little more expensive. Both of them have become pretty into their cameras and researched them extensively. They are very happy with the Pentax (even following the Pentax forum online--nerds). I like their pictures, and Dan likes the feel of a bigger camera since he has big hands. The best was when I had to sign a copyright release at Costco because they thought the picture he took of Ben was professional!

Krissy said...

I loved your hawaii pics! congrats to Spencer on his baptism. i am a canon girl. LOVE my camera (40D). I have also learned that with SLR's a good lens, and not necessarily the camera, makes a big difference! Have you checked out the rebels? Good luck and I am glad your camera didn't break on your trip!

Jamon said...

If you buy the SLR, I think you should pay the extra money up front to get the 15mm-200mm zoom lens. I wish we had one instead of needing to carry around both lenses all the time.

Megan and Keli'i said...

I love the updates!

If I may on the SLR- get the Canon Rebel T1i. If you go to Best Buy, it'll come with two lenses, and everything should be around $1000 or under. BUT, you get a video camera with it too, and it's an incredible SLR. Pentax's are okay, but Canon is the best.

The Powershot is bomb too, for sure.

Megan and Keli'i said...

PS- I had a Pentax, and they are fine. But Canon is the way to go. And if you get a MAC ever, those two are a match made in heaven. They are super compatible together.

Sijbrich said...

I don't want to confuse you anymore. I think you know I have a Nikon (seriously, why are all of your other friends Canon or Pentax people? That's kind of strange) and I like it a lot, but I don't know anything about other brands, so I can't give you any valid advice. I think it's great that you're reading reviews and asking around. I just think you should definitely get a SLR and not another point-n-shoot 'cause I know your photography skillz are gonna take off like crazy once you start learnin' all the techy stuff.

D Sheley said...

Carrie, you take amazing picts...go for the best. And, We have a cannon...but i don't think I am partial. Nikon's are good too. i think the photographer makes a difference too.
I had impetigo when I was little. Sorry Kate, that's no fun. Hope it's officially all better. See you soooooon!