Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Run, Scotty, Run!"

I love summers here on the ranch. It is so fun to be outside doing a million different things. It's great. In fact, I can only think of 2 things that I don't love about summer here, both of which can be deadly: rattlesnakes and wildfires. We are right in the heart of the country of both.

Today on my way home as I was passing the rental house, I noticed a truck parked out front and figured it was Scotty, who just paid his deposit 2 days ago to rent the house. As I got closer I noticed that he was swatting something on the ground, and figured it was a bee or something. His truck was in the way and I couldn't tell what it was until I saw a small fire on the other side of the truck. I quickly turned into the driveway, threw the car in park and jumped out as fast as I could, yelling to the kids to stay in the car.

It was around 5 p.m., which is the hottest time of the day in Idaho; it was like 95 degrees and there was a very slight breeze. I didn't think to ask Scottie and his wife how it started, I just ran as fast as I could in my flip flops (we were on our way home from the pool) and grabbed a bucket that was on the ground and headed for the spigot. Scotty was just kind of walking around as if nothing was on fire, dinking around with his shovel a bit and repeated a few times, "I got it. I got it." I have lived around here long enough to know that in dry country when a fire starts it gets bad fast. I thought Scotty knew that too since he grew up here.

Well, Scotty's wife and I were bucketing and stomping (in flip flops remember) and Scotty was doing things here and there with his shovel. I was frantic. We were surrounded by tall dead skeleton (is that redundant?) weed which is great fuel for a fire. The wind was picking up and the fire was spreading pretty fast. The whole ranch was directly downwind of the rental house and I knew that it wouldn't take long before things got really out of control, the way the wind was blowing and how everything was so dry.

I looked at Scotty as I was running. He was obviously still not seeing the danger. I yelled at the top of my lungs, "Run, Scotty, RUN!" I yelled this about every 2 minutes or so because the man was not feeling any motivation. He was moving VERY slowly. The whole time I was mumbling under my breath, "What is he thinking? Idiot!" Not very nice, I know, but that is what I was thinking.

The fire had spread more and was almost to the wheels of his truck. "Move your truck, Scotty!" I yelled twice. He moved it maybe 10 feet DOWNWIND of the fire in the dead weeds. DUH! A minute later the fire was once again to the wheels and I yelled again, "MOVE YOUR TRUCK!" I could just picture it blowing up and making an even bigger fire. So he moved it. Maybe about 10 feet farther still downwind of the fire. Hello! The fire was now starting to catch onto the juniper bushes right up against the house creating a lot of smoke. It was also right at Scotty's truck. AGAIN! So I dropped the bucket and ran over to it, jumped in it, cranked the key, it cut off. I cranked it again, revved it, and pulled it all the way on to the road (it had very little brakes so I almost hit the fence). I moved our car back too (my kids were all scared). I tried calling 911 and my neighbor on my cell phone as I was running back over but couldn't get reception.

The smoke was now billowing up against the siding on the house. It was totally out of our hands. I yelled to Scotty and his wife, "I'm going for help!" By the time I got back to the car there was a huge plume of smoke and I could barely see where to go. I almost hit the fence backing up.

I raced the mile and a half down the dirt road saying aloud, "IDIOT! WHAT WAS HE THINKING!?"

Luckily Weston, Ammon, and Alma were here and they grabbed some hoses and headed back over there. I called 911, and 2 of our neighbors who are volunteer firemen.

By the time I got back to the house, about 15 minutes later, the fire was pretty much out, thanks to all the helpers and equipment.

I went over to Scotty's wife who was sitting on the front step looking exhausted. I asked her, "are you okay?" She said she was and then went on to tell me how the fire started. Scotty was "burning some weeds around the house and the wind came out of nowhere and it got away from us."

Are you kidding me!? Everything was against them burning weeds around the house. It was 95 degrees, super dry, slight breeze, acres of dry weeds around them, not their house, no permission to burn, etc. They hadn't even moved in, why did they care so much about the weeds (that make up the whole yard) next to the house? He had already burnt the backyard, put that out when it "got away from him" and then thought he'd go for the front. Hmmm.

So now the question is: Should we still rent it to them? Should we give Scotty a second chance? Weston hasn't decided yet. I know what I would do. What would you do?

A couple pictures of the damage:


When we got back, Ammon felt inspired to write this on the sidewalk:

Just in case you can't make out the writing it says, "We are ranchers, church goers, family memebers, lovers, creative memory consultants (kind of random, but...cool, that's for you Natalie, unless Ammon hasn't told me of his new job), players, obstacle course designers...and now...FIRE FIGHTERS"

{(So....did he rent?  Go here to find out.)}

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guy sounds like an absolute moron, so I don't know if I would let them rent it. Good job acting so quickly!

Anonymous said...

I think I speak for Daron and I (because I know exactly what Daron would say and he isn't here so I will tell you) No Way would we rent to him now. Thats what we think.

by the way Carrie...way to take charge. Thanks for stepping in for Scotty, keeping your kids in the car, finding water, and calling for help. I am glad that everyone is ok.

Anonymous said...

I gave Weston my long answer over the phone. My short answer is give the man a second chance.

Anonymous said...

Holly cow WHAT WAS HE THINKING? Yeah there is no way I would still let him rent it now. There is no telling what the idiot would do next. It is a good thing you were there to save the day. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

It's fun to be a part of such a dramatic poll! That could win an academy award Cares. Wow. I would suggest sitting him down and seeing his take on the whole event and see if he thought he put anyone in danger. If he is still thinking its was really no big deal I would give him the ax.

Anonymous said...

I still think that its weird that someone would matters like that in their own hands without having permission form the owners first. I just wouldn't want to run into extra problems with him down the road. Jme

Anonymous said...

Wow Carrie, what an exciting and very scary time on your way back to the house. We are so glad that you were driving by at that time and totally took charge. Way to go to all who fought the fire. (carrie, Weston, Ammon, Alma, and others.)

I see it as a blessing that you were there at that time to take over.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
I was surfing through people's blogs & came across yours. I hope your family is doing well. That video that Nela Otuafi did is awesome. We actually served in the same mission together in Panama. He wrote so many great songs when he was a missionary. It would be cool if he could make a cd of everything he wrote while in Panama. Take care & see you around.
Kris

Anonymous said...

Your quick action probably saved precious lives, beautiful land, and lot of money to fight a fire all the up the mountains.

As for Scotty, if he pays for the damage to the house, and if he recognizes his error, then he probably will be a good tenant. if he jokes about it, then charge him for the damage and don't rent to him.

Anonymous said...

Wow, You are my hero! I don't know if I would be so calm in the same situation.

Anonymous said...

You saved that house and your ranch. Good for you for acting so quickly and keeping your wits about you. I would most definitely not rent to this numb skull. Not if you want to keep that house.

Anonymous said...

wow thats crazy carrie. im glad the lord placed you there at the right moment. im sure the kids were scared and so were you. you did the right thing and kept a level head on your shoulders. good luck with your decision to rent it to scotty or not.

Anonymous said...

very scary. thank goodness you guys got it under control.

Anonymous said...

First of all, Holy Cow!!! Carrie, you rock. Secondly, I have a hard time passing judgment on a person I do not know though you did a great job at recounting the incident; however, I try to see the best in people and give people second chances (I know I've been given quite a few second chances that I didn't deserve). In the end, Weston it's your choice and I don't want something I say make you do something you don't feel is right.

Anonymous said...

No way, no how. I'm mean though, but come on...he could've burned down your ENTIRE ranch. I know how fires get. I'm from Cali, and they suck there. Good luck with your decision. Good thing no one got hurt!

Anonymous said...

Ammon, are you saying I'm a player?

Anonymous said...

That's my girl, Carrie!!! As Kathy Golden would say..."What a woman!!!!"
As for Scotty, I would definitely talk with him and base my decision on his comments.

Anonymous said...

Carrie, you saved the day!!
wow, Cameron told me about it, but its crazy to get all the details in your description. Good job acting quick and keeping your common sense in an emergency. Obviously he had no idea of the potential and was probably feeling dumb and in denial that it really WAS a big deal. my first reaction is "heck no, don't rent to an irresponsible weirdo like that!" then I think i shouldn't be so judgemental and maybe see how he acts about it later (like others have said) and base your judgement on that. Oh and thanks Ammon for thinking of my wonderful side job of being a creative memories consultant that I've had all these years to include in "what represents our family". I just know you always admired the world of scrapbooking!