I have a chalkboard on the wall at the top of my stairs.
It is a rather large chalkboard, and it is just what you see while climbing the last 7 or so risers.
I use it to write various scriptures, or quotes, or sonnets for all of us to read as we climb.
![]() |
| Mud pie city. Ezra dried these, put them in a plastic container, and took them to school for his May Day play. |
One day, about a month and a half ago, I was feeling the need for a certain little word:
endure.
I wrote it just like that. All alone and simple on that big board.
When I wrote it, I don't think that it I knew how much it would affect me whenever I looked at it.
Some days I am so tired, and, at the end of the day, it is all I can do to make it up those stairs
(usually I am carrying at least one child).
| Jiles found a skirt that was meant for Zoe. |
Then I see that word,
endure.
Sometimes I want to cry when I see it.
But most of the time, usually when things are really crazy, it makes me laugh.
| The Bitties have found a way out of their yard. |
It is so easy to get overwhelmed, in this stage of life.
There are always so many things to do, so much to clean and keep up with, so many little ones to love and care for. And hardly any (if any) breaks, or alone time (even in bathroom trips).
(And lots and lots of food to be made (again and again and again.)
:)
It is a huge and full-time responsibility, this running a home and family.
It is down right hard work.
I don't know how in the world that on top of this responsibility, I think that I can do so many things outside of our home and family.
Things that are good things, that I like doing, and are "for" my family.
But in actuality these things take my time and energy, both of which are limited, away from my family.
But in actuality these things take my time and energy, both of which are limited, away from my family.
Let's apply the Good, Better, Best principle here:
Helping in the community is GOOD
(and I enjoy it),
| Our cow that Rancher named after his favorite ping-pong player. |
fulfilling responsibilities at home is BETTER
(I enjoy that too),
| Rancher lurves green growing grass. |
so maybe concentrating more at home now, at this stage of my life, and stepping back a little (or a lot) with outside the home stuff now, and then helping more a little later in life, when my Littles are bigger, is BEST.
Yes, that is definitely best.
I mean, I know I could do it. I can do it all...
I can do everything that everyone asks me to do, never say, "no", and please everyone, everywhere, all the time;
and feed my family, keep a clean home, have a happy husband, and thriving children, grow a garden, take care of animals, keep up on the laundry (and blogging - hahaha).
Okay, so that is just a big fat lie.
If I believe that I can do it all, then I either think that I am super woman (which I am most certainly do not), or I am a big fat liar.
Of course I can't do it all; there is absolutely no way.
No one can.
And it is NO FUN trying, either. It's stressful, and everyone usually ends up crying. Priorities begin to get confused, too. And that is definitely no good.
I'd much rather just do the latter (all of the stuff at home).
I'd rather just stick to what is BEST.
It's a balance thing, too, right?
Doesn't it always come back to balance?
Maybe I'll erase "endure" and write,
"Do what is BEST."
and feed my family, keep a clean home, have a happy husband, and thriving children, grow a garden, take care of animals, keep up on the laundry (and blogging - hahaha).
Okay, so that is just a big fat lie.
If I believe that I can do it all, then I either think that I am super woman (which I am most certainly do not), or I am a big fat liar.
Of course I can't do it all; there is absolutely no way.
No one can.
And it is NO FUN trying, either. It's stressful, and everyone usually ends up crying. Priorities begin to get confused, too. And that is definitely no good.
I'd much rather just do the latter (all of the stuff at home).
I'd rather just stick to what is BEST.
It's a balance thing, too, right?
Doesn't it always come back to balance?
| It looks like I am standing on the fence. |
"Do what is BEST."


22 comments:
I love it! I just get so inpired when I read your blog...seriously...amazing! I have your pictures still too! When would be a good time to either drop them off or you can pick them up...either way!!! Let me know. MEGAN
What a perfect post. I loved everything about it: the photos, the topic, the way you delivered it. Wonderful, wonderful, Carrie. It is so hard to balance it all. I find myself constantly reassessing my decisions and I love your last quote: "Do what is best" because sometimes that basic sentence is so tough to remember.
I love the photos of you on the swing with your kids. Perfection. You're the best, Carrie.
Shocking post, Carrie. I honestly thought you were super woman and did do it all. Comforting to the rest of us human moms to know that even you struggle sometimes. I totally mean that as a compliment--you're an awesome mom. Inspiring. I constantly remind myself, "there is a season for everything." I'd rather do one thing (raise my kids) really well than do a lot of things just mediocre. Thanks for the refocus reminder.
carebear, can i just say i love you to billions of pieces and reading through your words and heart just inspires me continually! seriously!
I know EXACTLY how you feel! Thanks for sharing. This mom business is tough!
P.S. Your pictures are gorgeous as always.
My oldest is now 17 and my youngest 9. In some way things are easier now (physically) and in some ways things are harder (emotionally). I can remember a few years back trying to keep up with the "super" women in my ward, and then having an "epiphany" one day.....that by trying to do everything, I was missing out on the BEST things. Since then it's still a struggle to find the balance, but the journey is so worth it! Like you said, "endure". I love this post....beautiful pictures and beautifully written!
My sweet Carrie girl;
Such a tender, well-composed post, with an even more poignant message for all of us....I am going to write "Do what is best" on my fridge Right Now...we never ever grow out of the need for that piece of wisdom. I cried a little for I know that while we are here in Poland on our mission, I can't just run in and give you a hug and a helping hand as Moms love to do.
I am grateful that you have shared these thoughts... I know that you truly will choose what's best...You are a wonderful mother, and "you are the woman for the job!" I love you!
Mom
This is the "Fathership" using "Mothership's" sending device. Dearest CBS(A)-(Babe): Well, you've done it again and brought me to my knees in gratefulness and humility for you. Your insight is amazing. Your introspection deep and true. You may not classify yourself as "Super-Mom", but I certainly shout it from the Polish rooftops that you are "Super-Daughter". But, Carrie, I think it is a matter of definition and perspective. I KNOW you; I KNOW your heart; I KNOW where your priorities lay. By MY definition and from MY perspective, you ARE both a "SUPER-MOM" and a "SUPER-ONE-OF-A-KIND-SPECIAL-DAUGHTER": DELIGHTFUL-CHARMING-CARING-DEDICATED-LOVING-CHEERFUl-HAPPY-BEAUTIFUL-TALENTED-THOUGHFUL-CREATIVE-EMERGETIC-CONSISTANT-FAITHFUL. You are also internally strong - knowing who you are; what you stand for; and what is most important in your life. You are the daughter every father dreams of, Carrie. You are the daughter that fathers imagine and "special-order" directly from Heaven. For you are Heaven sent - I hope you KNOW that. I am so very, very grateful to you; and for you; and LOVE YOU with all my heart and soul. Continue to be a good scout and "Do your Best". Analyze your name for a minute:
**Car(e) - you care very much about your family and others as well.
**Carr(y) - you can carry any challenge sent your way. That is your personality. That is you.
Rancher is a very lucky and fortuate man to have you as are your children. Your children and posterity will hold you in great esteem and honor for generations to come for what you are doing now and making those decisions which matter most - decisions which are difficult, but which are "best" for your family.
All My Love Eternally (AMLE), a very grateful, thankful and blessed father.
This is the "Fathership" using "Mothership's" sending device. Dearest CBS(A)-(Babe): Well, you've done it again and brought me to my knees in gratefulness and humility for you. Your insight is amazing. Your introspection deep and true. You may not classify yourself as "Super-Mom", but I certainly shout it from the Polish rooftops that you are "Super-Daughter". But, Carrie, I think it is a matter of definition and perspective. I KNOW you; I KNOW your heart; I KNOW where your priorities lay. By MY definition and from MY perspective, you ARE both a "SUPER-MOM" and a "SUPER-ONE-OF-A-KIND-SPECIAL-DAUGHTER": DELIGHTFUL-CHARMING-CARING-DEDICATED-LOVING-CHEERFUl-HAPPY-BEAUTIFUL-TALENTED-THOUGHFUL-CREATIVE-EMERGETIC-CONSISTANT-FAITHFUL. You are also internally strong - knowing who you are; what you stand for; and what is most important in your life. You are the daughter every father dreams of, Carrie. You are the daughter that fathers imagine and "special-order" directly from Heaven. For you are Heaven sent - I hope you KNOW that. I am so very, very grateful to you; and for you; and LOVE YOU with all my heart and soul. Continue to be a good scout and "Do your Best". Analyze your name for a minute:
**Car(e) - you care very much about your family and others as well.
**Carr(y) - you can carry any challenge sent your way. That is your personality. That is you.
Rancher is a very lucky and fortuate man to have you as are your children. Your children and posterity will hold you in great esteem and honor for generations to come for what you are doing now and making those decisions which matter most - decisions which are difficult, but which are "best" for your family.
All My Love Eternally (AMLE), a very grateful, thankful and blessed father.
This is the "Fathership" using "Mothership's" sending device. Dearest CBS(A)-(Babe): Well, you've done it again and brought me to my knees in gratefulness and humility for you. Your insight is amazing. Your introspection deep and true. You may not classify yourself as "Super-Mom", but I certainly shout it from the Polish rooftops that you are "Super-Daughter". But, Carrie, I think it is a matter of definition and perspective. I KNOW you; I KNOW your heart; I KNOW where your priorities lay. By MY definition and from MY perspective, you ARE both a "SUPER-MOM" and a "SUPER-ONE-OF-A-KIND-SPECIAL-DAUGHTER": DELIGHTFUL-CHARMING-CARING-DEDICATED-LOVING-CHEERFUl-HAPPY-BEAUTIFUL-TALENTED-THOUGHFUL-CREATIVE-EMERGETIC-CONSISTANT-FAITHFUL. You are also internally strong - knowing who you are; what you stand for; and what is most important in your life. You are the daughter every father dreams of, Carrie. You are the daughter that fathers imagine and "special-order" directly from Heaven. For you are Heaven sent - I hope you KNOW that. I am so very, very grateful to you; and for you; and LOVE YOU with all my heart and soul. Continue to be a good scout and "Do your Best". Analyze your name for a minute:
**Car(e) - you care very much about your family and others as well.
**Carr(y) - you can carry any challenge sent your way. That is your personality. That is you.
Rancher is a very lucky and fortuate man to have you as are your children. Your children and posterity will hold you in great esteem and honor for generations to come for what you are doing now and making those decisions which matter most - decisions which are difficult, but which are "best" for your family.
All My Love Eternally (AMLE), a very grateful, thankful and blessed father.
I love you, Mom and Dad!! :) times a pentillion!
Yep. Well said....you are a wonderful mother (and sister)! The best things are truly worth our time and best efforts....Love you. Diane.
How did I get so lucky to marry you.
Love,
Weston
Thanks for the great thoughts Carrie! Love the pictures! Each time I look at your blog my kids ask me when we can go visit "those cousins". Thanks for the great reminder to endure while keeping balance . . . although I have to admit you're making me a bit nervous for when baby #5 comes next month . . .
I'm honored to have my name associated with yours, mom and dad's and all of our other siblings. We have an amazing family! This post came when I needed it. I've been feeling a little lost with all of my responsibilities. Sometimes I just sit and look out the window because I don't even know where to start. As soon as I read this post, I printed out Elder Oaks' talk "Good, Better, Best". Thank you for reminding me of that talk. I sure needed it.
Seeing those pics makes me want to come visit. You're kids are really fun to be around. and you are too Carbetand!
What very true and honest things you write sweet Carrie. I just lost it today. I cried to Daron about (among other things) how I wish dinner time was never invented.
I am trying to shut everything that is good and better out of my life to find the best. BEST is usually the most simple. I find that when I mix it with other things is when I find that THE BEST becomes so hard. Does that make sense?
I needed to read this. THANKS!
xoxo
Thanks for the sweet comments, everyone. Jamee, you're right, the best is usually the most simple. Then why is it so hard to just do that?! I agree with the dinnertime time thing. :)
I wish I could come and live with you guys again and learn all these amazing things from you in person. You're awesome. And you're an amazing photographer :) Happy Mother's Day!
Come, Bekah, come! And I do believe that it is YOU that I need to do the learning from. (Cooking, baking, singing, and will you show me how to curl my hair like you do?) :)
Carrie, when I look at your blog, it makes me sad that I didn't know you better when we were younger and lived nearer to each other. I know we have a lot of in common friends, but I never knew you very well and I think you are awesome! The thoughtful, creative, artistic, loving, athletic, fun Carrie! Sounds like you are doing a great job- keep up the good work!
Gosh, thanks, Brooke! Yes we should've done more way back when. Anytime you are in Idaho come and stay with us!
Post a Comment