Chalkboards.
There is something about them that I find enchanting. Magnetic? Also somewhat charming. Educational-ish things, for whatever reason, seem to tickle my fancy. Ironic, yes, since I was never, ever known for being the most devout or loyal student in my scholastic career. I do love to learn, however, and I really LOVE to teach my kidlets anything.
With that being said, I saw these 2 pictures online and loved the idea. The first one I saw on Design*Sponge (I added the print) and the second one on Cookie (which I'm pretty sure they are not doing anything else with their site anymore...I think they got canceled or something).


They were mirrors that whoever painted with magnetic paint and then chalkboard paint.
Easy enough.
All you need is a mirror with a {fancy} frame and that paint. This frame is not as fancy as the 2 above, but it's fancier than most. Weston's mom had a mirror in the garage down by our house and she didn't want it. I didn't really want to paint the mirror - it was in good condition. However, Weston accidentally broke it when he was moving it. Alright, sweet! I think that I confused him when I got excited about the broken glass. It's lighter now as well, which is nice for hanging.
Before, after the glass all fell out, with a cute little model:

Before, after the glass all fell out, with a cute little model:

I separated the frame from the back, gave the frame a fresh coat of white glossy spray paint, then painted the back board with magnetic paint.
The can says 3 coats should be good. Ppsshhh! I did like 6! I stirred it like crazy everytime, too. The magnetic qualities kept magnetizing themselves to the sides and bottom of the can.
And add chalkboard paint on top of the already black, chalkboard-looking board? Why? The chalk writes and erases just great on the magnetic paint. (I question the need to spend more on "chalkboard paint". I think that plain old black flat paint is just as good, but that's my opinion.) I'm leaving it black right now, but in the future I'm sure I'll switch it up with the colors. The nice thing is that the magnetism will still be there even with other paint on top of it.
Anyhooo.....
The after, in a room situation, with 2 cute models:


No magnets on it at the time. I thought it would be fun to memorize some poetry using it. That enchanting educational-ism. Shakespeare's good - 116 is classic. I've memorized about half of it. I can remember it mostly because I can picture Kate Winslet reciting it high on the hill looking down on Willoughby's mansion in the pouring down rain in Sense and Sensibility. I'm always tempted to throw in a desperate and half audible, "Willoughby. Willoughby," after "and is never shaken."
It really is a beautiful sonnet. Little Kate likes to read it. However, the only part that she recites from memory is, "Love is not love".

I think that she missed Shakespeare's point.

5 comments:
That is really nifty. I actually have a broken mirror myself and now i know exactly what to do with it. great idea. i also love learning and teaching my kids. Its one of my favorite pass times is preparing some fun mommy school lesson for them they will really enjoy this one i know. thanks for the idea. i cant wait for spencer to get a little bigger we will move him into the other boys room and make the spare bedroom into a mommy school house. I have invisioned this for years and its just around the corner. kids library....moon shape kid school desk. fun reading chairs and some awseome yet inviting wall art to help captivate the mind. i love it and I will fo sure use my mirror in this room to come thanks
It looks spiffy!
Wow! Now THAT is cool! Teach me, please!
You never fail to amaze me. That is such a cute idea and the fact that you DIY just blows me away. I give you the mom/wife award of the year once again. Thanks for the inspiration.
weird that's. playing the piano I thought he was me at first glance. westons shirt, i gave him.
cool board carrie...creative you are
like fun it looks like you had at time thanksgiving. been there i wish i was. missed the most i cant decide on. pumkins-shot pistols, wood chopping, or family relax time.
Post a Comment