
It's January. It's cold. So00 dang cold. Everything is white, and we literally haven't seen you, SUN, in 1 week! How we miss you, our fiery ball of incandescent gas - our gigantic nuclear furnace. You are off giving your love to the southern hemisphere and, we know, you can't be everywhere at once but, please, please send us your love and warmth again soon! Please come closer and turn our land green again...soon. We know, we know - we will have to wait until Spring. And we can do it. We can.
Until then, we will just have to do without you - your strong side anyway. You took such good care of us all spring, summer, and fall growing things so that we could make it through winter. And now, even in this frozen season when your back is turned the other way, we can still survive eating the deliciousness of the land. I think that you would be proud of us at what we still eat fresh (and frozen), and basically organic, from the ranch without you so close by. I gathered a few photos just to show you...
See:
Cookie gives us 4-5 gallons a day.
And from all that cream, we can make fresh butter....
...and whipped cream for our waffles.The chickens lay 5 eggs a day - even in this cold!
Delicious honey (thanks little fellas
..& The Queen).
Beef, of course.
And some mighty fine tasting pork. 
Our frozen blackberries from late summer, that you helped grow, now make yummy smoothies.
And LOTS of applesauce from those succulent apples in the fall that you helped get to their crisp applesauce-ready state. Applesauce makes you strong like ninjas, you know. See: 
And that freshly ground wheat flour for making just about everything.
We love and miss you.
Patiently waiting,
The Andelins
5 comments:
It's cold here too. I can't believe you have honey bees. I've been wanting to have honey bees here in NYC but they are illegal in the city limits.
WOW! I LOVE that post! I feel like we don't see the beautiful sun so often either! But, everything is NOT covered in white! I love your organic farm usage! I am SO jealous! We gotta get us some new chickens. I think ours are defective! Tell you more about that later!
I'm still amazed at the blackberries. I still don't know where you find them.
You show the goodness of country living, the blessedness of a wonderful family, the joy of getting the most out of every season and the happiness from every season of life.
We had some sun earlier in the week, but now it's getting cold.
What else are you doing with all that milk? We go threw A LOT, but that much would definitely overwhelm my refrigeration capabilities.
It has actually been in the upper 50's since Christmas here. You really should come visit. Today is the first kinda cold day and it is raining. I love the rain.
Come stay for a minute.
Post a Comment