Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Wal-mart Musical Excursion

A local Wal-mart invited Spencer's school out to sing some Christmas songs; I guess they had done it last year and wanted them back. So we all drove the hour and 20 minutes to watch them sing and play their little instruments. It was very cute and there were lots of Wal-mart employees, as well as shoppers, who were quite entertained with their singing and their harmony (and I'm sure the employees appreciated the break). Here is the whole school singing together (or getting ready to start singing, I suppose):It is so funny to watch Spencer. He knows a few of the words and is usually still for the first song, but then slowly begins to get wigglier, and wigglier. It was the same way at the community Christmas program last week (except worse there because it was much longer). Everyone got a kick out of him and told me afterward that they got some really good pictures of him doing things like rubbing his eyes with his tie, peering into the audience, looking back up at the older kids while they were singing, yawning and stretching really noticeably, trying to tuck in his shirt with his unbuttoned pants, etc. It was hilarious! He is the only Kindergartner, and therefore probably the shortest attention span, and I guess that would make him the comic relief. He told me later that he gets really bored when they have to stand there and sing. (These pictures look really bad; the lighting was not the best.)Grammie Sue met us there to watch Spencer (and giggle at his performing skills). She wore her batteries out on recording the performance. Thanks, Mom. After they were done singing, she pushed Kate and Ezra around looking at stuff (while Spencer got to go do a craft in the back of the store) so that I could do some very, very fast (I hope that you feel like it was just as fast Mom) Christmas shopping for the kids. Thank you Sary Mue!!! You are a lifesaver! (Again, and as always!)

Our drive home brought us a little bit of this:
...and a whole lot of this:
Yay, back at the ranch; the home stretch!:
Needless to say, it is nice to be home. Hot chocolate, warm fire, and that cold snow still coming down outside.

Wal-mart gave each of the kids one of these for coming out to sing:

Cool! That was nice of them. And great for a day like this.

3 comments:

Natalie in Sparks said...

How cute and fun! I know what you mean about the fidgeting during the program. Our boys do a lot of that every year during the primary program. THis year, apparently, they were doing the "flying bird" motion, and after the program someone commented to me that they looked like the happy hands group on Napoleon Dynamite! (I missed the program this year, cause it was right after my surgery).
I can't believe Spencer got a whole lego set! I guess that's the perks of being from a small school!

Krissy said...

I love your banner picture!! It is oh so cute!! And congrats on the baby boy...you are way too tiny, you don't even look prego! I agree, it has been way too long since we've seen you. Hopefully soon!

Tia said...

What an expedition to Walmart! Gives a different twist on the school Christmas program. Way to go Spencer with your singing.