Sunday, January 15, 2017

Jiles and His Broken Leg


Jiles broke his leg 4 days after Christmas while helping to feed cows out in the snow and ice. I had a bad feeling when he left with Weston. I should've listened to that feeling. 

He had to get stitches too. He is actually the first of our kids to get stitches (we've had super glue before). And he is the first of our kids to break a bone and need a cast. 2 records in one. He first needed an x-ray to make sure it was broken. It was, but a clean break that would heal nicely. He also needed an I.V. when we got to the E.R., which I think was, to him, worse than the break. They messed up the first time, having to poke him again. He really did not like that.

(Beware: the first picture below is gross.)

2 stitches:


Putting on the soft cast. He needed that for a couple of weeks while the stitches healed.

 Trying out the crutches:

He needed to be carried for awhile. He ended up crawling for a while because he didn't like having to rely on someone to help him. He is a pretty independent kid.

It was really hard on him not being able to play outside. He is an outside boy, and like I said before, independent. He is naturally a really happy kid. But for the first 3 days he was so sad! And I was so sad watching him.
While the other kids played out in the snow,

He watched longingly from the porch swing. 
(He's trying to hide from me taking his picture here, but he was pretty sad!)

His cousins gave him some fun things to entertain him, and we got him some things too. T

We gave him some special privileges, like sitting by the fire to eat.


Katelyn and Ezra took him around the sled.

All those things were huge to him, and he perked up back to his old super cheerful self in no time, and was getting comfortable getting around.



A couple weeks later, it was time to take him in to get the stitches removed and to get his hard cast.
He's getting pretty good at those crutches. And Spencer is really good at being the biggest brother.



Buffalo (plaid) boys, won't ya come out tonight, come out tonight, come out tonight!

Another X-Ray.

Ooooo...LUCKY!!
Getting the stitches out:

And the special cast sock on:

What a good big brother that Spencer boy is!

That Sunday, just as soon as church was over, I went into the Primary room to get him, and he was sitting in a chair eating a piece of candy with his foot propped up on another chair, and there was a line of about 15 kids waiting to sign his cast. I wish I had a picture of it! It was so sweet!


That hard cast ended up not getting really hard. So about 3 days later, we went back in and he got that one taken off (with all the cute kid signatures :(  wish we could've just transferred them over to the new one) and another, really hard one put on.



Photobucket

No comments: