I am there. Pretty much anyway. I am just about 39 weeks along. At my baby appointment today the doctor suggested a possible induction. Really? Am I that close? Oh boy. He didn't realize exactly how far out I live and voiced concerns about me not getting to the hospital in time. He thought maybe it be best to schedule it, if that is what we want to do. I think that that may sound good. I get sooo nervous thinking that I might not make it to the hospital. I had a dream a few weeks ago that the baby was coming, but I was so concerned about where Jiles was going to be, and then the baby was there and in a stroller and I told Weston to call the doctor because the baby was already here. Today, our doctor was telling me that he has had experiences of delivering babies in cars and at people's houses that woke up in the middle of the night feeling the need to push. But they lived a lot closer (one being his backyard neighbor where he just ran across the yard).
We switched from the midwife that I had with Zoe to our family doctor, whom we have had as a family doc since we've lived in Idaho and who has delivered well over 1000 babies, just a few weeks ago, at, oh, 35 weeks along. Last minute, I know, kind of like we did in Zoe's pregnancy, at 30 weeks, from a different midwife. I didn't go anywhere from 21 weeks until 35 weeks because we were trying to decide what to do. I really liked the midwife that I had with Zoe, but she switched hospitals and it was going to be so expensive there. I also like the drive way better to our family doctor; it's all country roads, whereas to the midwife was downtown Boise. The midwife is also twice as far (an hour and a half away) as our family doctor. I can't imagine racing to the hospital in labor through an hour of traffic. Blah. But mainly I feel like our family doctor does a great job, and will do a great job in delivery, and I really like his style. He is laid back yet very competent and confident, you never feel rushed (which probably explains why one has to sit in the waiting room for so long), and, as my friend who is a doula says, is basically like a man midwife.
I have had 3 appointments with him. First, at 35 almost 36 weeks, I was measuring right on at 35 and had just broke a new weight! Never had I seen that number on a scale for me. But, ah well. It is all good as long as my baby is healthy. (Goodness know I haven't been skimping on the ice cream.) At my 2nd appointment, last week, I was measuring 2 weeks behind - still measuring 35 at almost 38 weeks and was 2 pounds lighter than 2 weeks before. I was worried, thinking about Zoe's pregnancy and her intrauterine growth restriction issues and was thinking that an ultrasound sounded good to make sure. I got an ultrasound (2nd for this pregnancy - with Zoe I had like 13) just after that appointment and everything looked fine. At my appointment today I was still measuring 35. I think that my baby has dropped, though, and I am carrying differently. Doc thinks the same.
So, back to the big question brought up in the first paragraph:
To be induced, or not???
That is now the question.
I like doing things as naturally as possible, and like when things happen when the baby and my body are really ready, but at the same time, knowing I'm going to make it (and in time for an epidural, because I would reeeallly like one) and having things all set and ready to go with the other kids (instead of waiting for someone to come over in the middle of the night, or dragging them out of bed, or whathaveyou) would be quite nice and comforting and I wouldn't get so nervous with the anxiety of the unknown.
We talked about possibly inducing on Friday or Monday, if that is, in fact, the route that we want to go. Eek!
I need to talk to Weston and make a decision and a plan.
I have been contracting a ton lately. On the drive home today, where I could actually watch the clock while sitting for 45 minutes, I was having them every 6 minutes. Hmmm.
Before I sign off, here are a couple of pictures to compare 10 days before my due date with little growth restriction Zoe, who had to come that day because she was getting smaller (picture on the left), and me yesterday 10 days before my due date with this little one. I don't think I've actually ever compared prego pix like this before. Kind of cool.
Oh yeah, I was eating on Sunday evening and part of a filling in my tooth came out and I accidentally swallowed it. And then yesterday, eating again, the rest came out. I was able to get it, and sure enough it was a piece of amalgam filling. I went to the dentist this afternoon and got a new composite filling. I was having contractions while they were working, and during one strong one, the doctor said, "Keep your mouth open wide." Hahaha. Not too fun, but I'm glad that it is filled and done.



4 comments:
I'm excited to hear what you decide to do and to meet our new little niece/nephew :). Oh, and you look amazing!
How do you always look so fabulous when you're nine months pregnant? I'm so excited for you and for this little Andelin! I can't wait for the next blog post because I bet it'll be all about the birth. Good luck to you! And I always vote induction. So much easier, especially when you have five kids at home. I like knowing my baby will not be born in a car.
I kind of did that with our third.... the doc sent us in to the hospital (we ran home, got what we needed and took the other kids to a friends house). We went in they gave me an epidural, broke my water and that was it. Hailey was born 3 hours later. Easiest delivery and way less stressful knowing the other kids were taken care of. In fact, I felt great, the baby was great - so we went home the next day. I wasn't even there 24 hours :)So different for each and every person (and delivery). Good luck! I love to see your updates. You guys are right along the way to my parents house. One of these times we will have to stop by!
Hi Carrie,
Have been wondering how you are doing and just read the email from mom...HOpe all goes well!
The tooth/filling story made me laugh. life. What a fun journey! Take care. Our prayers and thoughts are with you!
Post a Comment