Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Visit From the Hau'ulagans

Yesterday, one of my old BYU Hawaii roommates, Miss Megan, and her super cute (and hip) family came to visit us.  It was so great to see her.  I hadn't seen her since 2004.  We have been keeping up with each other's lives through blogging, which has been so fun, so I felt like I already knew all of her kids, and felt like I was just with her, in a way.  It was cool, yet surreal at first, to have her cute little Hawaiian-speaking, surfing keiki ("children" in Hawaiian), her 6'6 Hawaiian basketball star husband Keli'i (he was on the BYU-H bball team when we were going to school there), and her gorgeous and stylish little self at our house clear out here in the middle of Idaho.

Megan and I shared a room in the Quiet House on Laie Point in Laie, Hawaii.  We had a pretty sweet view of the mountains and ocean from our room.  At the beginning of the semester when we all moved in none of our roommates could understand us because we both mumbled.  We laugh about it now.  I just remember that we both said, "What?" a lot to each other for the first little while.   

I moved to the Quiet House from the Bridge House, which was right across the street from Hukilau Beach (where the old Johnny Lingo movie was filmed), in January 2001.  When one of my Bridge House roommates, surfer/skater girl Shar, heard who I was going to share a room with at the Quiet House she said, "You two will hit it off.  You're two of the most active girls I know here."  

Some of the Quiet House girls:
Megan and me in the back, Alicia and Sara (twins), Jacque, Jill, Ellen, Erika on the couch, and Courtney in the front.
I keep up with almost all of these girls through blogging.  :)

We were roomies when I started dating Weston, and again the next semester when I was engaged to Weston and she was dating Keli'i.  I'd talk to her about Weston and she'd talk to me about Keli'i.  Every time I hear the song Hanging by a Moment by Lifehouse, I'm transported back to waking up in my bed in the Quiet House, and I think of Megan, because that is the song that she had set to be her alarm in the morning.  Happy way to wake up. 

We went to their wedding reception in California when we were living in Carson City, NV that next year.  I was pregnant with Spencer then.  And then 2 years later we met up at Lake Tahoe with our friend Janelle.  She had just had her first little one, Aiken, and I had just had Kate.  That was the last time I saw her.
  

Don't you just love pictures of pictures and scrapbook pages?  Haha.

Megan with Aiken and Kate:

 And now back to the present.  Megan and I yesterday:

And look at this big bunch of kids:


A cute and busy bunch for sure.  They all got along really well.


Zoe, older by a few months, showed Finley how to get herself some cereal. 

 (I'm stealing these last pix from Megan's blog.)
Jiles and Ronin, four months apart, hit it off great (their language is somewhat similar).

Eva and Kate played with Kate's horses in her room.  (Kate thought that the name Eva was Chinese because she had never heard it before.  Too cute.)  Both sweet girls.

Spencer and Aiken sledded down the hill on the snowboards, and played on the frozen creek.

Keli'i and Weston:

I loved hearing their Hawaii accents, and that Megan had her kids call me Auntie Carrie (a Hawaii thing).

We only had them for a couple of hours because they had a long drive ahead of them, but we were glad that we got to see them for that long. 

Love you, Hau'ulagans!


A little after Megan and Keli'i and their kids left, our friends Megan and Cory and their kids stopped in with some homemade cookies for us.  And Weston's brother Cameron came a little later, too. 
I LOVE visitors!! 

Photobucket



3 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

Awwww! I LOVE THIS! I am sitting her cracking up for a few reasons. 1. Our mumbling. 2. What Shar said. We totally hit it off. 3. That Lifehouse song! hahahaha! 4. Those photos of Tahoe reunion! I've never seen those! 5. Chinese Eva. 6. Finley trying to steal cereal.

Man, I serious love you guys. I need to re-do my blog post to incorporate more memories. I think I will.

Love you Andelin 'ohana! Next time, we need more time!

Walker Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Walker Family said...

It was fun to visit you guys:) it's always a fun trip to come up to the ranch! Thanks for the yummy enchiladas too:)