Monday, August 29, 2011

august.


Black-eyed Susans:  One good thing about August.
Just in case you were wondering, we made it home from our Utah trip fine.  I mean,  you know, after 2 breakdowns.  We finally made it home late Tuesday afternoon.  It only took us 49 hours to make a 6 hour drive.  Crazy trip.


I just saw lightning.  And it is August.  A dangerous combination.
It is not my favorite month.
I used to love it.  It used to mean hot, summer, beaches, no school, freedom, playing.  


But here in Idaho, out in the high desert, I do NOT like it.  Now, to me, though it still means hot, August also means dry, dry, dry, yellow and brown fields, skeleton weed, rattle snakes, blooming sagebrush, allergies, asthma, sneezing, itchy eyes, and, my least favorite, lightning storms with no rain.  It's FIRE season. 


It is really coming now: LOTS of lightning.  It is southwest and west of us, which means that it is probably coming our way.  Weston and I were watching from the front porch, and he started talking about our "game plan".   It makes me so nervous.  I'm sure that I won't be sleeping much.  I never do when it is like this.  I wake up sniffing, that is trying to see if I smell fire, and then I walk around the house looking out every window praying that I only see darkness.  

Natural disasters are freaky.  Weston and I were glued to the computer yesterday watching for hurricane updates.  I was on facebook a ton looking at my Virginia and other East Coaster people's statuses.  Lots of power outages and downed trees and rain and wind.  One guy died in my home county from a tree falling.  


Today in church the opening song was Be Still, My Soul.  I thought it was a perfect song for the hurricane happenings (and earthquake and tornados that also happened in the same week on the east coast), most specifically the second verse. 

Be still, my soul:  
The Lord doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past.  
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;  
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.  
Be still, my soul:  
The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.


I keep thinking I smell something burning and it makes my blood run cold.  I hate that feeling.  

Oh, and Weston's game plan:  Go to sleep and wake up in the morning to see where the fires are.
I add in: Pray.
What more can you do?

Haha!  And just as I am about to click "PUBLISH POST", I smell RAIN!!!  Sure enough.  It's not a whole lot, but we'll take it!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey carrie! glad you made it there and back. and the whole "dry, crusty ground thing causing fires" would freak me out too. My allergies HATE this time of year...they're awful!!

The Tomlinsons said...

Glad you made it home! This time of year is pretty hard.

By the way, I love your pictures. So so good!

Natalie in Sparks said...

yeah, we have had a bunch of fires here this last month! One on the hill behind Spanish Springs HS, one in NW Reno, a big on in South Reno by the Virginia foothills, and a HUGE one in Gardnerville! THe Gardnerville one burned over 5000 acres and was all over the news. We saw the smoke from that one evening over a hill and it looked like a big billowing cumulus cloud. The weird thing is there wasn't one other cloud in the sky....it looked so unnatural, and my first guess wasn't a fire, cause usually fire smoke is more gray or black and thin. However this was a mushroom shaped cloud of thick white smoke. I honestly thought it looked like a volcano had erupted somewhere! I started looking online to see if there were any dormant volcanoes in Nevada! Then we turned on the news and they said "More on the Gardnerville fire after the break" and it showed a picture of the mushroom cloud. weird huh? I took pictures of it, i will have to show you. anyhoo, I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't have any wild fires!