Thursday, June 9, 2011

Driving to Town & What I Said When I Left the Doctor's Office

blind shot / hold-the-camera-and-push-the-button while driving pix on the way to my parents' house
The kids and I drove southwest to my ma's and pa's place on Tuesday night.  It was a gorgeous evening and sunset.  We had the windows down and OMD singing to us (raise your hand if you know who they are).  It was nice.  We spent the night at my mom and dad's and I left Wednesday morning for my doctor/midwife appointments while my mom watched the kids and took them to my sister's house alllll day (you are a saint, Sary Mue!).  I had 3 appointments and would be gone from 8:30-5:30.  Long day.  For everyone.


My first appointment was my checkup with my midwife.  It was routine, except that I was measuring really behind again, which got us thinking that she had not grown, which got us talking about having the baby on Friday.  As she started explaining the various induction methods - "there's the pitocin method, and then there is the mmrrmrrwwrrmerr...." - things started to blur.  I fanned my face with my hands and told her that I needed to lay down.  I felt like I was going to faint.  With a few minutes laying down to get my blood pressure stabilized and a cup of water I felt well enough to walk out of the office.  I just wanted fresh air.  I had 45 minutes until the appointment with the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor, so I went and bought a berry smoothie drink and a Kellogg's breakfast bar at the gas station to stabilize my blood sugar.  I felt better.  (Oh yeah, I am 2 cm dilated.)


Next appointment - MatFetMed.  This was the important one which determined my fate - well at least maybe baby girl's birthday and my plans for the weekend.  They weighed me.  I was +3 pounds since last Wednesday.  I have eaten so much since last Wednesday trying to fatten this baby up.  The week before I had lost a 1/2 pound.  Now I'm really fattening this baby (me) up for shores, but what about the littlest Miss?

They started doing the ultrasound, and even though I was laying down I started getting woozy and light-headed and hot and faint and nervous.  It was not fun.  They gave me a cold washcloth and I just tried to take deep breaths and not faint as they continued on with the ultrasound.


Measure, squirt more gel, probe this way and that.  Deep breaths.   Don't pass out.

"Your fluid looks good.  It is about 12 cm."  Okay, good.  "Let's do the weight."


"Oh, baby is measuring 5.11.  That's about the 25th percentile.  She looks good."
Deeeeep breath/sigh!  Thank heavens!  5 pounds 11 ounces!


"So you mean I don't need to be induced on Friday?"
"No, you don't."
I all of a sudden felt stable and not faint.
"And we don't need to see you for 2 weeks."


I went down the stair well (not a huge fan of taking the elevator by myself) and said out loud, "Hallelujah!"  I opened the door to the fresh air outside and said it again.  Weston called right then and I told him everything and he said, "So this is like a normal pregnancy now?"  "Yeah, I think so."  Sweet!

So now to chill and let her cook longer.  To my due date?  Or probably a week over and she'll be like 8 pounds by then.  And I'll be like 250.


Thank you all so much for your prayers and concerns and thoughts and everything.  We're very grateful to you and to our Father in Heaven.  We are blessed.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

Yay! I've been anxiously awaiting this post all day! I'm so happy for you and for the wee Miss Babe. My thoughts and prayers are still with you and what a crazy voyage this has been. Lots of love, Carrie! Still keep the updates coming, but I am so glad that babe's doing just fine now. Lil' babe's the same size now that Aiken was when I delivered him full term...and I had to be induced with him and that's not the most fun thing, so congrats to you! HOORAY!

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 said...

wonderful news! cook that little lady! : )

The Mrs. said...

I'm so glad you didn't pass out. You poor little Mama. Yes, I said LITTLE!! You will never be 250 pounds you silly thing. But if it makes you feel any better, I am getting big with you. Growing a babe is hard work. Not just physically, but mentally and emotional and spiritually too. It's quite a journey for mama and baby. Like, accepting the fact that you really do give up your whole being to bring this baby into the world. I think it is more evident the more kids you have too.

I am so glad you are doing better and that baby girl is growing!!!

Jamee
xoxo

Sijbrich said...

Yay!!

The Tomlinsons said...

Great news!!!!

Anonymous said...

yay!yay!yay!yay!! rejoicing with you!!! :), sgm

Keri said...

Geez are you known to have panic attacks like that. man you poor thing thats just no fun feeling that crummy. sorry your nerves got the best fo you. Its such a wonderful feeling to give thanks in my daily prayers for you rather then pleads. Funny how these little spirits have a way of making us soul search and grow closer to Thee. Not only have you been busy feeding your preggo belly and sweet little baby but also your spirit and testimony. and what a wonderful growth spurt you and baby endured. so glad youve been keping record of this journey for youre family and her to reflect back on. Im so happy for you. love ya lots.

Staci said...

SO good to hear. And the day you weigh 250 LBS...ya right there will never be a day.

Love you guys. just over a month till we are back up there! YAY

Maria said...

Hi Carrie. SO happy for you and your little bun that she can keep baking away for awhile.

Hey, a friend of mine asked about giving raw milk to her toddler. Do you guy drink your cow's milk? I seriously thought I remember reading that somewhere on your blog, I hope I am not just making that up. I am guessing it is totally safe right?
You can email me at thorpe.maria@gmail.com if you get a chance :)

Jill said...

Oh such good news!!!! Yayayayayay!

Leslie Andelin said...

Yay! We were so happy to hear the good news!

Farmgirl Paints said...

well you are a hoot! love your blog design and those pics are gorgeous!!

thanks so much for stopping by and telling me about VA. you got me all excited. so nice to hear there is some open land and barns. i know every now and then i'm going to need my farm fix;) i have no idea what a whipporwill even is...can't wait to find out.