Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Deets On This Bebe

Where to put #5 during storytime?
So, I'm pregnant. 
I mentioned that already though, didn't I?

It was Spencer's 8th birthday - 10-21.  I had a pregnancy test in my hand.  Weston wanted to be the one to know first because he never has been the first to know.  I didn't look at the stick, but passed it on to him.  He saw a single line in one window and then another single line in the other.  "Negative."   He was bummed.  I wasn't surprised.  He tossed it in the trash can and we carried on with our day.

That night, after the kids were asleep, we went into our bathroom to get ready for bed.  As we both brushed our teeth, I noticed the pregnancy test box still on the counter.  As I brushed away, I picked it up to look at before I was going to throw it in the trash.   I turned it to one side and saw "reading the test".  It showed what the stick would look like if negative: one line in one window and nothing in the other; and the results if positive: one line in one window and one line in the other.  I choked on my toothbrush.

"Uh, Weston look at this."  He looked and then I saw the light come on on his face as he saw what I had just seen.  He was excited, even though he wasn't the first one to know.  He has really been wanting to have another.  I have too.

We went downstairs to look up a due date calculator thing on the computer.  June 11th.  I was 6 1/2 weeks along.

We told Weston's parents a few days later.  I was anxious to tell them.  There is a big family reunion here at the ranch next summer with Weston's dad's side and they were thinking about having it on June 22nd, 11 days after my due date.  There are like 170 people on his side and we will be hosting some in our home.  They so graciously pushed the reunion date back until the second week in July.


8 weeks later, 4 weeks ago today, I went in for my first appointment with the midwife, at 14 1/2 weeks.  She asked my LMP date and I told her and she told me my due date was June 11.  "Yes, I already know that."  Then she went to listen to the baby's heartbeat and she couldn't find it.  At all.  My first thought, Great!  I'm really not pregnant and now I need to go back and tell all the people that we told about my pregnancy, 'just kidding'!


She did an ultrasound and found the little lima bean.  (I must confess that I was hoping that there were 2 in there, and so was Ezra, but, nope, just one.)  W could see the little heart beating.  It looked great.  She measured him/her, and then declared, "Well according to the size it looks like your due date isn't until July1st."  Uh, uh, say what?  "Which would mean that you are only 11 1/2 weeks along (remember I thought that I was 14 1/2?)."

My first thought:  The reunion!  I'll probably be a week late and then have the baby 5 days before everyone comes.  Second thought:  3 weeks!  You can't take 3 weeks from me. I earned those.

"But," she disclaimed, "we'll take some more measurements when we do your ultrasound at 20 weeks and go from there."  20 weeks according to the June 11th due date or 20 weeks July 1st due date?  She said the June 11th due date. I'm waiting longer.  I don't want to do it twice.

On the way home I called my sister-in-law, Jamee (I knew that she was pregnant, but she didn't know that I knew yet so I wanted to call her and tell her that I knew (take a breath here)).  I told her the above story and when I got off the phone with her I started thinking.  Sheesh, 3 weeks!  That means that we found out when I was 3 1/2 weeks along (is that even possible?) and told his parents when I was 4 weeks and told our kids at 8 weeks...  

Basically, this is going to be the longest pregnancy ever.  

So after that short story made long, here is the main thing that I was trying to get across:

My EDD is questionable, but it is probably this: 7-1-11.
And that would put me at 15 1/2 weeks along.
After I feel like it has been 18 1/2.

But I am grateful that I am pregnant.
What a blessing!


Photobucket

10 comments:

liko said...

so happy for you all!! what's three weeks? haha, jk! in pregnancy stats that can be looong.
but you make pregnancy look good, so you're all good.

The Mrs. said...

I have been thinking about you NON-STOP!!! Thanks for the little update (even though I knew most of it).

I just went into the hospital and they thought I was having twins because my hormones were so high. OR they said I was like 15-16 weeks pregnant. After an ultrasound they told me I was only in my 9th week.

Wanna join my 'this is the longest pregnancy ever' club?

I think we should go on a girls trip somewhere, don't you? I'm thinking SUN!!

Jamee
xoxo

evamarie said...

Congrats!!! I'm so excited for you! Did you know that I am pregnant? Guess when my due date is? July 2nd!! There's a chance we might have twinner babies. That would be so awesome! I can't believe you'll have 5 kids. I'm freaking out that I'll have 2. You've got more practice than me at being a mommy than me. Well, I'm way excited for you!!

Megan and Keli'i said...

Love the story! I'm so excited for you guys! I'm so sorry about losing those three weeks. That sucks, but hopefully it's not the case, and they'll figure that out at the 20 week ultrasound. Hope it's a girl :). For Kate. But if it's a boy, how fun is that too? It's a win/win.

Megan and Keli'i said...

Oh, and I love your new header! That's awesome!

Holly said...

So happy for you Carrie! Hope you have been feeling well despite these cold winter days. Was your trip to Hawaii the best??! Looks like you had a lot of fun. I thought of you when we went and looked at the campus at BYU-H! :) Anyway, one of these nice warmer days we'll have to visit. Congrats again!

Maria said...

Congrats on baby #5. That sounds like a lot of babies! You wanted it to be 2 babies! Wow! That would have been exciting and crazy but one baby is still exciting :) and I hear ya on the cold weather and snow!

Minna Dyer said...

I feel like I've been pregnant for a year, and I still have almost three months to go. Time is dragging! People look at me and guess that I am 2-3 months further along than I am, which doesn't help matters. I guess I am grateful that we just moved into a house so that I have something to keep me busy.
Anyway, congrats and maybe your due date will be in June after all!

Natalie in Sparks said...

I am Super excited for you! That is a weird thing about the timing you were figuring out with them adjusting the due date. no one usually finds out at 3 weeks that they're pregnant! I don't think the hcg levels are high enough at that point to register on a preg test.... I am holding out for you to have the earlier due date - now THAT would be a nice surprise!
Sorry its not twins...don't worry it all works out the way its supposed to!

Johnson Family said...

I am so excited for you. I was getting all excited when you were talking about the ultrasound I was thinking twins too, but bummer. I am loving having twins I think everyone should get to have twins. But one baby is also so fun and your kids are so lucky to have a fun mom like you. Congrats.