Monday, January 10, 2011

Ramblings about cold and snow and fire and stuff

Looking out the car window on the way down the lane:

We have a lot of snow up here.
It is beautiful.  

But it is O L D.


Kate lightly crunches across the top of the snow to the swing.
The kitties pad across to follow her.

I sink up to my knees in my attempt.


There is a lot of snow.
Oh yes, I've mentioned that already. 
We got 18 inches last week (the town 13 miles to the south, and everywhere else, only got rain) to add to our 6 inches that were already on the ground.
And then 2 inches last night.

See the fence in the back in the picture?



The rail behind Miss Kate's head is the top rail.

(Ah, that picture looks warm.)

Now here is the fence this morning:


It was -5 last week.
Do you know what that feels like?
That is too cold to snow.
(Whoever thought that it could get too cold to snow?)
Our fire couldn't kept up, the heater was coming on a ton.
You quickly find the sources in your home that leak air.
The tractor kept freezing up. I
It would cut off in full motion, even though it had been plugged in all night.
Keeping animals watered is tricky. 
The chickens, sheep and cats are not lucky enough to
be near a spring that never freezes - like the cows and horses are.

It warmed up this week.
 40 degrees warmer. 
Now it is 35.
Warm enough to snow again.
It's supposed to this week.


So, fer now, me and this are best buds (as long as he is roaring):



I can't function if he is not alive and well.
Really and truly, I can't.
If he is not roaring and spitting, then I get I get mad that he is not living up to his full potential.  
I can't think or move without him, and
I just want to be wrapped up in blankets and in a sweatshirt and socks 
and slippers to compensate for his absence.
I like it W A R M.

I do like the snow. 
I love it's quiet and brightness and cleanliness.

I like it as long as I don't have to go anywhere.


This was not supposed to turn into a weather post!
Really it wasn't.  How boring!
I'll get around to the other stuff I wanted to post about, 
just not right now.
It's 9:40 PM which is the equivalent to 11:40 PM pregnancy time
and I really just want my bed right now
(which is the main reason that I haven't posted for 3 weeks).
My bedtime = whenever the children go to bed.

But this is what I want to post about, uh, probably this week (unless I am too tired, 
or too cold (the computer is too far away from the fire...another factor of not blogging)):
Christmas and New Year's events;
The details on the pregnancy;
My family all together at last after 5 1/2 years;
Bringing in wood;
 Sledding;
Yeah, and whatever else.

Until then, 
adios, amigos!
And GOOD NIGHT!


Photobucket

5 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I need an update!!

I am the same with my fire. No=me do nothing.

When the fire is roaring I can function a little better....and it is not nearly as cold here as it is there!
Jamee
xoxo

Maria Turley said...

Carrie your blog always looks so cute. I'm due June 21, but I seem to come early.. we'll see. Did I see a post that you are expecting too??? Where is this ranch you live on anyways? Please tell your fam hello for me. We always have great memories with your fam.

The Mothership said...

Thanks for this post. Winter is so beautiful....from inside. I agree, I love the warmth and huddle in front of our fire also. Early yesterday morning I had the great privilege of being in my car as the sun was rising.. It was so much like a Virginia winter morning, it made me homesick..All was laced in ice..and a beautiful red morning sky. There was even a subtle mist over the frosted fields.
Love you, and hope to come see you very soon..Hello to you also, Maria. I miss you!
Love Mom

liko said...

new camera? bee-u-tiful photos!
and brrrrr. i will try to soak up whatever sun i can between all this rain!!

Natalie in Sparks said...

wow, that is a ton of snow! brr! it was in the teens and 20s here for a few weeks, and i know what you mean about the animals! it;s hard to go out, and keeping an unfrozen water supply for them plus making sure they are ok and being fed enough is a lot of work. Cam had to add a few heat lamps and a water heater out there.
I love the permeating heat of a fire too, so nice. I want to post more often too! soo many posts, so little time!