Monday, September 13, 2010

want a little WHINE with that?

Bringing in the laundry before dark.
Check out all of those apples on the ground that are just screaming to be sauced...

Today.

4-wheeler-ing down by the creek with the 2 non-schoolers for a fair part of the morning.
Lunch and quiet time?  Success.
And then 3:00 hit.
And with it came:
fighting over a dump truck, 
fighting over a caterpillar, 
fighting over a huge nut - as in nuts and bolts
fighting over a fork,
crying over a plate,
crying over homework,
crying over a dictionary,
crying over a metal ring "crown" that got stuck on Ezra's head,
and whining over eVeRyThInG!
(maybe if I make the words all rainbow-y, it won't feel as complain-y, yes?)

I was tired of the whining, crying, fighting. They were all just plain tired and whiney.
They went to bed with very little resistance.  They each read/looked at their own children's dictionary and got in their own little world.
Kate sings the dictionary out loud at night. 
I was really in the mood for a road trip today, you know, during all that whining, crying, fighting.  I think that I was wanting to escape for a little while.  A little thrifting alone, maybe some sitting on the floor in Home Depot while looking at the decorating magazines alone; something like that is what I was craving.  That is one disadvantage of living so far away from everything.  Doing something like those things would take planning, hiring a babysitter, driving for hours.  Not all that feasible in just an evening. Instead I let myself wander on over to her house for a bit for a little in-house escapism.  But, ironically, that made me want to go thrifting/flea market-ing all the more; and also to go buy an old historic home in the mid-west and fix it up.  Sounds fun, eh?  Maybe?

Now, as they are soundlessly (and whine-lessly) sleeping, I type away my frustrations of the day, and I am thinking this: How in the world could I have handled today better?  Seriously.  What do you do when you have days like this (you do have days like this, right?)?

Photobucket

6 comments:

Dan said...

yes we have days like that... so often

Megan and Keli'i said...

Sounds like you and I had the same day...Lots of whine to go with that cheese. Yes, come over here...we'd love it.

Keri said...

seems like something is in the air. I had a very simular day as well last week. Its rare or me I seem to always have it together and m happy face on. that day I didnt andyou wanna know what I learned as my 2 year old starred me down liek I was a deamoned or something. I learned that We as Mothers really hold the key to a succesful day. Its true and though we are human its only natural to have those days when we just cant do it. I have experienced many of those. You did the right thing. refocused their negative energy into going to bed early and reading somenice quit books cause in those moments you as a mother can regroup and refuel that positive energy that the kids drain out of us in times like these. Dont blame yourself or get down. its only mortal for us moms to be a little more off just as kids are as thoguh us MaMa bears have off days the littles seem to follow in suit. One thing I have learned to do is verbal explain my frustration and emptyness in my energy to my kids. I sit them on the couch and in a calm voice remind them of all the things I have done for them that day. I then tell them that I in return need to be loved and given service to. I need them and they need me. its a team we as a fmaily are a team. I am weak and cant do it right now can each of you think of one thing you can do to help mommy be happier. Let them feel in charge and in control of the mood let them serve you you deserve it and through service is where our hearts return to peace nd happiness. love ya good luck carrie. hope today is going better. thats just my tid bit hope it helps.

The Mrs. said...

Are you kidding me? I totally have days like this.

That is when I think to myself, it's time for a break (for everyone!)!! I know the kids must get tired of the same old day after day stuff, just like we do. They get tired and and sick and they do have a lot to do (in their own child life ways).

Sometimes I change up the routine and put a movie on and make pop corn, and then take some time for myslef.

Sometimes it's early to bed.

Days like that are a good reminder that I need to keep myslef rejuvinated so that I can handle those kind of situations. I have to pray and read scrips everyday. I have to attend the temple. I have to go on a weekly date with D-we don't have to go any where, but at least take time for just us whithout kids. I have to do something alone-by myself- once a week as well. I also need exercise everyday. I also have to spend alone time with each of the kids. If I have all this in check, I seem to handle all kinds of situations better.

I love your life, your kids, and you!!
Jamee
xoxo

D Sheley said...

Yep. Funny how whines seem to be contagious. I don't think it's possible to be a mom without an extra whiny day now and then. I haven't tried one of my rememdies for too long...just sit down and do something quiet with them. They love it when I stop everything and do something enjoyable with them...and I love it too. Give em a hug and a little time. It's only for a little while, their littles, then it will turn into the older kid whining stuff and that is worse! (hopefully they are old enough to know better by then...ha. I think one of mine has reverted back to the two's.) Youch, that's encouraging. Looks like you've taught them what they can do to fix it, take a quiet moment to get it out of their system. Good job mom! Oh, and, I used to put on my yoga for dummies once they were all settled. Stores are usually not open very late here, so by the time they're all settled, there's no where to go except for a walk or yoga or Dave or a good classic story...

liko said...

sadly, we all do have our days like this.

and thankfully, they come and go.