Tuesday, September 28, 2010

sunflowers at purdum's produce

We stopped at a local produce stand. 
Purdum's.
They had John Deere wagons to pull the produce children around in.  
We got a big burlap bag filled with corn - 5 dozen,
a seeded watermelon (with a smiley face on the sign next to the word seeded), 
a bushel of tomatoes.

They had loads of good stuff.
And a lot of sunflowers.
Some in bunches in vases to sell and some in the field.
I was interested in the ones in the field.

I wanted the whole field. 
I was in awe of them and their surreality.
I told Rancher that we should plant a big field of them next year.  
That we could harvest the seeds.  
For him. 

He shrugged his shoulders with a promising look as if to say, "Yeah, grand idea, oh love of my life."


I just want to watch them sway in the breeze.
And see them light up in the sunshine.
And look at them against the sky.
And take pictures of them.
And run through them.

He wants to chew their seeds. 
And taste of their saltiness.
And then spit their shells.
Onto the hard ground.
And chew more.

I am the dreamer.

He is the chewer.

The seeds are in there.
It looks like a painting.
Isn't it amazing?

We stopped by a vineyard a little ways away from Purdum's.
We picked 5 1/2 bushels of juicy Concord grapes.
It only took us an hour.
I've had my juicer going for the last 2 days, all day, and still have a bushel and a half yet to go.
68.5 quarts so far.
No sugar or anything added.
Y u m .
Photobucket

4 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

BEAUTIFUL. Photos and beautifully written. Love you, girl!

Tyson Andelin said...

Nice Haiku.... and pictures

liko said...

what a sunny post!!

great photos and words and the grapes sound yummy!

Natalie in Sparks said...

THat looks amazing! All the color and fall fun - I love it! I want to go there. How far is it from you? i do love sunflowers too - they are so happy looking. Good job juicing. I need to go get my concords at the old house so I can juice too.