Tuesday, September 7, 2010

1st harvest

It was supposed to freeze last night.  
At least that is what Weston read on our little community's webpage.  He told me and I told Grandma. 
"Tomatoes" was first on the brain.
  We didn't want to risk losing the whole crop so they all had to go.
(It has been a super short growing season this year.)
We called for a harvest on some of the other veggies/fruits that were ready anyway.


Grandpa, Weston, and Uncles Tyson and Daron (who were here for our little get-together  -  more on that later) came to help with carrots...
 onions...
 taters.
I picked the only big honeydew (there are a few itty bitties still nursing the vine).
By the time we got around to picking some corn, most of the littles had joined us.  
They liked it raw.  
Sweet and good.
My little 5-year-old nephew, Carter, found a nice caterpitter amongst the edibles.
Last night we had a nice little harvest feast prepared mostly by Grandma.
OTM:
(on the menu)
Sliced tomatoes tossed with olive oil and fresh basil from the garden,
steamed carrots,
corn-on-the-cob,
honeydew (that was totally NOT ripe - I'll take blame for that),
sliced peaches (picked from the church orchard),
sauteed potatoes and onions topped with fresh parsley from the garden,
Grandma's delicious homemade whole wheat bread topped
with your choice of homemade marion berry jam or Uncle Daron's honey (that he harvests from his own bees), 
leftover hot dogs and buns (which is pretty much what the kids ate),
and for dessert: Weston's apple crisp (with apples that they had just picked) topped
with your choice of vanilla ice cream (store-bought) or Grandma's homemade berry frozen yogurt.

Sounds kind of over-the-top, but, actually, it was pretty simple.
And it was really good. 


========================================================================

3 thoughts that were bouncing around in my brain while we were picking yesterday:
  1. God is amazing!  Seeds, growing food, etc.  It is amazing!  Really.  He has life and everything so organized and under control.  How can one not believe in Him, especially when witnessing the miracle of nature?
  2. It's fun to pull food out of the ground. It's like a magic trick.  Put a seed in the dirt, a little water, a little sun, a little time, and abracadabra! Shazam!  Full grown food!
  3. What would it be like if our family, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents (on both sides) lived by us and we all just lived off the land?   (I'm kind of half serious/half joking on this one.)

Oh yeah, and it didn't freeze last night.
But I'm glad that we did all that anyway.
And I'm really glad that it didn't freeze because, HELLO!, it's only the beginning of September.




Photobucket

7 comments:

Roberts blog said...

Carrie; beautiful posting lately. Your pictures are amazing. Your sweetheart always looks like he should be on the cover of Western Unlimited magazine.

The Mrs. said...

That was the perfect meal for someone not feeling so good...I felt so good sleeping with a belly full of homegrown veggies.

I would live off the land with you any day!

Jamee
xoxo

Megan and Keli'i said...

WOW!!! That is amazing! All of that food! And I loved that Kate was just eating that corn raw. So cool. And I loved your three thoughts too. God is amazing. He really is. I feel that way all of the time around these parts, what with the beautiful nature and all. You guys have a really cool life, Carrie. I know I say that every time I comment on your blog, but you just do. Cool stuff. Oh and yes, I met Janelle's hubs too. Really nice guy. And she's knocked up too. Did you know that?

Unknown said...

I love fall and all of the bounty that comes with it. My kids love raw corn on the cob too. As soon as there's a Target in Emmett, I'll join you for the living off the land deal;>

Maria said...

It DID freeze here last night...and our garden is gone. Luckily, we got some stuff canned before it all bit the the dust. Your tomatoes look amazing! YUM!

Erika Allred said...

That is so great! I can't wait for the day to have my own garden. All that delicious home grown food...Love it!

D Sheley said...

Have you tried fried green tomatoes? They are actually really good. Learned that one in Canada. I'll take the short growing season if I ever get one. It's too cold here to grow things like corn, melons and PEACHES!!! But we do have the berries and a lot of them. Yum. LAter.