I love the look of the fields after the grass is cut.
Stripes.
The stripes turn from green on green to yellow on green as the grass dries into hay.
Raking helps it dry faster, so that it can be baled before it rains or blows away.
Grandpa's team, Tom and Willy, the Amish-farm-trained Percherons, pull an old fashioned rake.
It's fun to watch them, and to hear the quieter clackety-clank rather than the loud purr of the tractor.
Then it's time fer turning the stripes into big shredded wheat (without the frosting). It's little square (rectangle, actually) bales this time, instead of the big round ones, so that they can fit them in the barn instead of under a hay shelter.
Some of the bales were in the way,
so Spencer volunteered to hop out of the tractor and roll 'em out of the way.
3 generations of hard working men working the stripey fields.
3 comments:
Can I come work the stripey fields?
Jamee
xoxo
I love the look of hay cut and baled too! SOO farmy...mmm,mmm! That is a good way for Spencer to build his muscles! Looks like the horses are working hard there in Idaho.
Good job spencer. I remember pushing the bails of hay over like that for grandpa.
Post a Comment