Tuesday, November 17, 2009

i am ThankFul for electricity

Photobucket

Our power went out yesterday. It was out for 4 or 5 hours.

We got all prepared to sleep in the family room in front of the fireplace, and eat dinner by candlelight. We grilled chicken on the grill outside. We lit candles.

Photobucket

It got really dark. But we were together and we were warm.

Photobucket

Then it came back on. Disappointment bursted from children's mouths. So we turned the lights off.

Photobucket

We ate, read, and colored by candlelight. We thought about all the people who never, ever had electricity. For around 6000 years there were people living without electricity. We thought about that in awe.

Photobucket

And then we started the dishwasher.

4 comments:

The Mothership said...

So often its the potentially frustrating/inconvenient moments that are our greatest tutors..and provide the memories we savor...What a choice memory.
Love, Mom/Grammie

The Mrs. said...

What a great night!!
There is a story in my journal about how the power went off (I was in high school) and I was so thankful for the quiet (or not so quiet) moment with my family. Just us. No outside influences. It made a big impact on my day...and life, I guess.

I love the dishwasher comment. SO thankful for that so we can have less time standing and washing and more time with family.

and a clean kitchen.
Jamee
xoxo

Laurie said...

Candlelight is so magical. But I love my dishwasher too.

The Tomlinsons said...

It's exciting for a little while when the power goes out, but I wouldn't want it to go on for days or weeks! How fun that it was a fun experience for your family.