Monday, July 13, 2009

prisoner

Spencer was banned to his room "FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!"
.
I had to do it. He has been continuously and deliberately disobeying. He had ample warning; he knew it was coming. I gave him one more chance and he blew it. So, there he sat, serving his sentence, until breakfast....


I have to laugh at this picture. I did while I was taking it, and am laughing now looking at it. Notice the book's title, and, of course, the dramatic shackles.
.
Around 3:00, he cleaned his room thinking that he would be let off for good behavior. Sorry, pal, I think not. He messed it up again knowing that (but then cleaned it again before bed). A few hours later, he told me in a repentant voice, "I really have learned my lesson, Mommy. Can I come out now?" Um, nope. Then, cries of frustration. He watched pathetically from his window as the rest of us played outside. He pressed papers up against his screen which probably said, "Help! My mother is a witch and is holding me prisoner against my will!" I didn't humor him by reading them.
.
But, alas, morning did break, and breakfast did come to Spencer in the dining room. Hallelujah!
.

We'll see if he really learned his lesson like he said. If not...
TO THE GALLOWS!
.

But seriously, whenever Spencer gets in trouble, he gets mad at first, understandably, but by the end he gets really love-y and very genuinely tells me how much he loves me. We always end discipline with hugs and a good "we did this because we love you, you are a good boy" talk. Disciplining stinks hard core. I hate doing it. But, behavior from not disciplining stinks even harder. Concur?

10 comments:

The Mrs. said...

That is so funny. I love the book he is reading. Seriously man, if it wasn't for grown-ups......

Thanks for sharing a little bit of discipline advice. Sometimes I feel like I am the only who had to discipline my child. Like everyone else has perfect children....

Thanks,
Jamee

The Mrs. said...

Olivia thinks Spencer is a genius.
She loved the shackles and the "...my mother is a witch comment...."

we need to get those two together.

Jamee

Dan said...

Way to stick to it. It's way to easy sometimes to let up before the end of a "sentence".

Laurie said...

Good for you! And I'm impressed he didn't destroy everything in his room while he was there.

Staci said...

I'm very impressed!!
That is a hilarious picture!I gave a good chuckle!

Megan and Keli'i said...

I hate disciplining. I need a lesson in it. I love this story. You're an awesome mum!

Natalie in Sparks said...

Way to be firm and consistent! From now on, all you'll need to do when he gets naughty again is threaten "the room sentence" and he'll more than likely shape up BECAUSE you were consistent and he knows you really mean it! (and who wants to watch everyone playing out the window TWICE?)
The picture cracked me up and the papers in the window...that is hilarious!
I completely agree with your very profound statement "Disciplining stinks...but behavior from not disciplining stinks even harder" I am going to remember that one! I think I will write it down...

Keri said...

thats funny i agree but also very hard. You have to do it youve gotta stick to your guns and show tough love or youre right the outcome is a lot more traumatic then a bedroom time out. I can believe he was in there all afternoon and night. I dont think I could do that unless perry sent me out of the house. but then again if Tyler pushed my buttons hard enough anything is possible. I love the handcuffs on his ankles. what a funny picture. Life lessons spencer will never forget. you go girl.

The Tomlinsons said...

I am laughing out loud at that picture!!! Are you sure you didn't stage it?!

carrie @ the boonie life said...

I promise i didn't stage it!