Sunday, March 8, 2009

An Hour With Rancher Man - Viewer Discretion Advised


The other day was really nice out, so after we picked Spencer up from the bus stop, we tracked Weston down and he asked us if we wanted to come with him to check on the new calves. So with all 5 of us piled on the 4-wheeler (Kate of course very safe from the "mean cows" between Weston and I), we bounced along through the cow population and bumpy fields checking out all the newbies and making sure their mamas were taking care of them. At times, Weston would play the super hero by rescuing one of the littlins who had been separated from its mama by a fence.

After a bit, we came across a heifer (a young cow, especially one that hasn't yet given birth to a calf) who was in labor. Weston said that she had already lost her water at least an hour before and he thought that she was going to need some help; she was not progressing. The calf's front feet and tongue were already hanging out! So he herded her across the creek and into the cow squeeze, grabbed some chains and started helping her out.

Luckily, I had the camera. This might gross some of you weak-stomached people out. It's pretty, um, graphic. I get a little weak every time I watch it. Especially what happens after the calf comes out. Ugh!

I kept starting and stopping the filming, because it was taking so long, so I missed the head coming out. Oh well, I s'pose this is good enough. Weston sounded like he was the one in labor, he was pulling so hard.
The mama was in shock after. I was rubbing her head and she wouldn't even blink. Weston got her in a stall and carried her calf over to her. Thankfully they bonded and she took it.

Our kids got to watch the whole thing. Spencer even got to hold the tail for a while. The boys had already seen Weston do this once, but Kate and I hadn't. Our kids have gotten where they are pretty comfortable with the whole birth and death thing, with animals anyway (more of our chickens got taken out - Weston thinks that it was a WOLF this time!). Maybe too comfortable? I don't know. But this is our life. And this is just about as exciting as it gets around here.

9 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Yeah Mama! Yeah Calf! Yeah Weston! Yeah Carrie!
*clapping*

Jamee

Megan and Keli'i said...

Wow! That was crazy! We used to have cows at our house in Cali and we did birth one calf. But the mom hated its baby and wouldn't bond with it. SHe ended up kicking the baby and killing it! So sad. I hated that cow. Good think this momma wasn't a head case!

Erika Allred said...

Wow! That is way crazy! Thanks for the educational video...What a cool life you guys live. Miss ya!

Jamon said...

way to go Wes!

Laurie said...

I've always heard it called "calf-pulling," but I've never actually seen it.

Way more pulling involved than with goats or my horse. Cheers for Weston.

The Tomlinsons said...

I didn't even dare watch the video! My dad would be so jealous of the life you guys live! I think it's a good think your kids are getting a taste of the circle of life. Everyone has to learn it sooner or later, so they're that far ahead.

Keri said...

wow thats intense. I would love for my kids to get hands on learning or the beauty of life and death. what a neat experience carrie. makes you realize how child birth is nothing in comparison to a cow giving birth. just keeping telling yourself that. LOL be lucky youre not a cow. how are they both doing now that days have passed?

Tia said...

way to go Weston.

Poe said...

That was the craziest thing I've ever seen. So cool that you and the kids got to see it. I'm so glad the momma didn't reject it. I'm so glad that they don't have to use chains and a squeezer to get our babies out.