Monday, December 1, 2008

oh idaho

As I sat in my heat-filled suburban at a construction stop sign earlier today, waiting for the sign-holder-worker-man to flip it to "SLOW", I laid my head on the head rest behind me, took a deep, long breath filling my lungs with stagnant warm air and then exhaled slowly. I put my head up again and looked around me - nothing but brown sage brush hills, a small hunter-happy truck in front of me, a dusty horse trailer in front of him.

I laughed slightly inside of myself at the signs of Idaho around me, and thought of scenes I've come across just while driving down the road since we've moved here - men or boys walking on the side of the road with guns and no one thinking anything of it; an 800-pound pig hanging out on the side of a busy road (today); men hanging a dead deer from some special deer-hanger contraption off the side of their truck to skin it, right there, on the side of road; many, many deer or elk strapped to the tops of truck cabs; and, of course, driving through countless herds of cows and sheep with the sound of manure splatting against the bottom of the car- just to name a few.

I was brought back from my thoughts just then by a group of trucks passing me on the other side of the road. One stood out from the others as it was driving towards me. It was white and oddly shaped; the back of it was covered and taller than most trucks. And then I saw it. The words on the side of the truck: "Mobile Butchery." Hmm. Wow. There you have it. I laughed a good one at that.

Oh, Idaho. My feelings for you are so...so...so....so...
so... I had best leave it at that.

2 comments:

Jamon said...

Hm, Carrie are you doing all right up there in Idaho? It sounds like you miss the east.

The Mrs. said...

Oh Carrie Beth,what are you to do? Let me know, when you know.


Jamee