Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Last 9 Days

A lot has been going on in the last 9 days in our world. It's probably not all that exciting to most of you, but nonetheless, it's what we've been up to.

1. The chickens finally started laying eggs! Right now we are getting 4 per day. With 19 hens, hopefully that number will increase by at least 6.


2. We got a milk cow. Her name is Cookie. I've been begging Weston for a milk cow since we've lived at the ranch. He never wanted to get one because of the twice daily commitment. The milking times are 6 and 6. But, with Alan being hired on as ranch hand a month-and-a-half ago, and the fact that he loves to milk cows and has 8 years experience with it, it's all working out. Fresh milk and cream! It's the best. I make butter (it takes like 5-10 minutes in the blender) and have yet to make whipped cream, and ice cream.


She's giving 2 gallons per milking. That's 4 gallons a day. But about 1/3 of it is cream! That'a lotta cream!

Alan gave us the hint of tying her tail up so that the milkers wouldn't get flicked in the face. Rather handy.

Cookie exiting the barn after the milking (I keep wanting to say nursing...gross). Isn't that a cool white heart spot on her head?

Filtering:

I'll ask Spencer if he wants some milk and he says, "I want the COW milk", as if the store-bought milk were from some other random animal like a hippo or penguin.

Kid tested - 100% approved.

3. Weston went camping with the Scout troop up in the mountain valley portion of the ranch on Friday night and they heard the wolves howling! That's not too far from our house, mind you. I didn't see him until Saturday afternoon and the first 3 words he said to me, and with very large eyes, were, "I heard wolves!"

4. Spencer mowed the flat part of the lawn all by himself. It's a pretty big portion, taking him probably 45 minutes or so. He was so focused the whole time, making his rows straight and getting all the grass. He did an amazing job! Next, he'll be driving the harrow bed. (Just kidding Grandpa!)


He was so proud of himself.

Telling Daddy all about it:

5. On the cattle drive on Monday, Weston and his friends pushed up about 40 head of cattle on horseback. The cattle drive takes about 3 hours and is around 7 miles one way. He told me later that that was the most enjoyable cattle drive he's ever been on. It was quiet, and relaxing.

They rode again on Tuesday and then yesterday moving cows around. Kate and Ezra both got to ride the last mile back to the barn - Kate on Star Dust and Ezra on Brownie.



6. Our dog Roxie got left behind on the cattle drive on Monday. To make a long story short, we had to pick her up at someone's house 45 minutes away yesterday, Wednesday. And this brings us to:

7. We got 3 rabbits. Sheesh. The people who had Roxie breed rabbits and sell them. They had 3 that were too old to sell so they said we could have them for free. They are very cute, I must say. And it just so happens that there is a rabbit cage here on the ranch. That's convenient. The gray one is hypoallergenic, so that is great for Spencer, and it seriously feels like velvet. There is a black Lop and a white Jersey Wooly.?

8. Weston rented a wood splitter for 24 hours and he and Alan, and Spencer, got the wood supply pretty much stocked for the winter for 2 houses: ours, which we run 2 wood stoves, and Alan's.

Spencer was, as he usually is, very serious about his work.


9. The leaves are changing and already falling off the trees. No, not yet! But, of course, I do think it's pretty. Not comparable in the least to the Motherland on the East Coast, yet still very enjoyable.

So, that's what we've been up to the last 9 days - in addition to the daily grind and usual stuff, of course (including some prego sickness - what's up with that?..and no, it's not the milk; I felt like that before we had the cow, too). And you?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a romantic life you guys live! I know it's also a ton of work, but I hope you are enjoying every minute of it. Four gallons of milk a day!? That's fantastic! And I love fresh eggs. I had 3 ducks when I was a kid and we ate their eggs. Fun!

Anonymous said...

Can we come live with you? I'll work for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hey if you get sick of any of your rabbits I bet my snake would love the meal. just kidding, but not really :) And I'm way jealous of the raw milk, that stuff is the best.

Anonymous said...

Fresh milk and fresh eggs!!!!
What a treat!!!

Weston, who did you ride? Brownie or Star Dust?

What a busy 9 days!

love mom

Anonymous said...

Great job mowing the lawn, Spencer. I'm glad you got a milk cow, just remember to untie her tail when done.

Anonymous said...

wow Carrie, what an amazing life you live. I know all of us city people would love to be in your shoes but it would be hard work to. I realize how lazy I am every time i read a post about the ranch. I am grateful for people like you and your family that make it possible for us to live. even though youre not distributing you goods to stores i now have a better appreciation for all farmers out there. From now on every time I wine about my day being to hard I will think about all the hard work you guys do on the ranch and you being pregnant too. its very inspiring. Thanks for such an uplifting update. So are you keeping the horses. isnt this the weekend that tells all? I cant wait to hear.

Anonymous said...

Mom,

I rode Brownie. I've ridden him everyday this week to round up cows in the hay field as they've been coming off of the forest. I'm thinking of changing his name to Captain.

Weston

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Our chickens are officially done laying eggs and are on death row. Are you guys able to go through that much milk or are you giving/selling some to anyone? Spencer looks so big driving the mower! He will be a great driver when he is older cause he is getting so much practice! Kyle had his first summer mowing the lawn with a push mower. We paid him, because its a big yard and a lot of work for a 9 year old!
I am sorry you have been sick. Even though its not the milk, you should be careful with unpasteurized milk while you are pregnant. when mom and dad had their cow i was pregnant with the twins and dad advised me not to drink the raw milk.
ps Emma just smiled really big at the computer screen!

Anonymous said...

Crazy 9 days! That's so awesome to have fresh milk and eggs. Weston looks like he's having too much fun! I can't believe Spencer can drive that mower! Tell him awesome job for me. Hope you start to feel better. Morning sickness is NO fun! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

That is all so exciting. Ahhh farm life. I can't believe your son mowed the lawn. He's so little. That is like a kids dream! I'm jealous of the chickens and milking cow.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so awesome. Lots done in 9 days! I'm definitely jealous that even in this crazy economy, you guys will be fine living on your farm. That MUST be comforting. I guess we have the ocean and coconut trees? Yes, but I DO want to get two chickens for eggs. Adam, my brother, bought two pigs and 20 chickens at my parents' house. He's getting a milk cow and I think he just got some sheep. He's a regular ol' rancher now...just like the Andelin's! Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Carrie! Your blog is amazing, you're preggers -- AWESOME!, you're living my dream life out on a ranch. You're inspiring! And those family photos on your Sheeley blog are stinking ADORABLE!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like lots of fun and craziness. I have a friend who raises goats, her kids call goat's milk "real milk", they call the other stuff water.

Anonymous said...

You live such an amazing life. Everyday must be such an adventure. I can not even imagin it. That would be so much fun. The picture of your son on the lawn mower was priceless! The milking looked so much fun...ya right.