Have a bowl full. There are many, many more to share. These are feeding the freezer (to pop into smoothies for a delicious anytime treat), the pie crust, and the bellies.

Little hands just can't get enough...
Nor can little mouths...(or big mouths in Weston's and my case)
And now we move on to the 'Balers' portion of this post. It should really be just 'Baler', for there is only one, but does that sound as cool in a post title coupled with 'Blackberries'? No, it doesn't.
So, anyway, my Rancher has been wanting me to learn to bale for a while now, and actually I have, too. So, yesterday evening when he said, "I'm going to go bale that field," I thought, well actually I said out loud, "How 'bout you show me how to do it." He thought that was a great idea, as all my ideas usually are (ahem).
So here we are, all piled in the tractor cab as Rancher man shows me how to engage the PTO, rev the RPMs, and set the tractor to movin' along.

Isn't he a handsome rancher?

MMM hmmm...

Then he set me off by myself. Yes, that's really me driving that beastly machine with my mad farming skills. Okay, so I wasn't entirely alone. Spencer, who has spent numberless hours riding along with and observer his daddy, was sure to tell me how to sit, when to turn, and many other things.

You see, secretly, this is kind of a dream come true for me. From when I was young, I have dreamed of living on a farm, having lots of kids (sweetness #4 is baking right now), growing food, getting dirty, feeling free, and of driving the tractor. Even though the ranch isn't ours, and it isn't nearly as green as in my dreams, we are pretty dang close to fulfilling that whole dreamy picture. Driving the tractor yesterday, listening to Cold Play with one of my children at my side, I felt very content. And my handsome rancher husband was cooking steaks (fresh from the ranch btw). Yummy.

Some of the fruits, rather bales, of my labor. Lots more to go though.

Oh, I kept getting the song "She thinks my tractor's sexy" in my head. I'm adding it to my playlist.
13 comments:
I love seeing you guys out there. It's so beautiful. Congrats on #4! When are you due?
Carrie! I love that post! Totally where I pictured you and your family! I love your hair, btw! So cute! Also, I LOVE that time of year. We'd always have plenty to pick in Cali around this time, with Apple Hill being so close and stuff. Ah, I miss the mainland...my heart is torn.
This post brought tears to my eyes while I was listening to the Enya song on your playlist. Sigh. Life is good.
Congrats on #4 .. yeah for you. You are living my secret dream life too. You and pioneerwoman.com ;)
You look good on the tractor. Thanks for the chat last week. It helped me relax.
Carrie! This is Jeri! I had no idea that you were a fellow blogger until Holly gave me your address yesterday! Your blog is adorable, oh and conrgats about #4!!
Carrie! You are always impressing me with your skills! I love your photos you take, another impressive skill! I wish we could help you guys eat those succulent berries. Yummo!
Carrie, wow, I have a hard time handling 2 kiddos let alone 4, WOW, congrats, that's awesome, good luck with everything, we sure do miss your family, tell everyone "hi" for us.
way to go carrie! you are now a true farmer! you look like a natural on the tractor too. i am jealous of all your fruit! cameron was practically salivating just looking at the pictures of the blackberries. i reminded him that we have a big box of frozen ones in the freezer, to which he replied "nah, its just not the same" Its true, there is nothing like fresh picked food!
I loved this post. You live an amazing life. That is great about #4.
Carrie: It is good to see that your dreams are coming true. If it weren't for dreams, very little would happen. How did #4 like the ride? Hope it didn't get any ideas by looking at the shape of those bales!!!! We love you!! AOLE, Mom and Dad
I'll be there the 27th. Please save some berries!
Congrats on baby #4 on the way! That's awesome. How far along are you? You look fantastic! Keep up the great blog.It's fun to read about ranch life.
Post a Comment