Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Verdict On Scotty

It took me long enough to post this, but here it is:

Yes, I felt strongly about NOT renting to Scotty at the time I wrote the last post. I was all "fired up" and afraid of what might happen next with him. However, the decision was not up to me but to Weston.

Although I was so mad, and questioned Scotty's intelligence a few times, a line from the song "How Can I Be" kept popping into my head. It was a line referring to Jesus Christ that simply says, "How can I be like Him?" Why did that just pop in my head and settle itself right down in my brain for me to repeat over and over? I hadn't even heard it for a while. It helped me realize that I needed to chill out and be kind to him. I was being very un-Christ-like in my thoughts and in some of my words and actions.

Weston on the other hand remained completely calm and was nice to Scotty and his wife the entire time. When we went back to the house and were talking about everything that had happened, Weston said that his gut feeling was to "give the guy a second chance."

So, the verdict is: He rents.

Weston was the Christ-like one in this situation, forgiving immediately and turning the other cheek, so to speak. It took me a couple of days to soften and feel the same way, but I did soften and am glad now that they are living in the house.

They look so happy and have been working so hard to fix things up. They had the bushes out and the burn spots painted within a few days after the fire. Just the one window needs to be fixed (the paint was a shade off so he will paint that whole side of the house).

Weston told Scotty he could rent but there were to be no more burning weeds, or ANYTHING for that matter. Scotty's reply: "Don't worry. I won't be burning a fire for the rest of my life!"



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you guys would rent again to them. as long as they dont engage in any more fires I think it will be a good thing. like your dad said in his comment see if they are sorry about what happened. i agree. they did a great job on repainting and fixing it back up. dont beat yourself up you were under a lot of stress while the house was on fire and im sure you were frustrated. im glad you came back to the surface and had that sweet hymn stuck in your head. i love how the spirit whispers to us.

Anonymous said...

by the way i cant help but crack up at yuor new profile picture of yourself. the kids looks so thrilled to be taking a picture with you. and you've got this cool collected smile on your face with you fancy new hair dew. Dontcha love Motherhood! that picture is genuine I love it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and the pictures of the work they have done. It looks good.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Good for you guys. You're examples to me. I am very un-Christlike, but I'm working on it. Miss you, Carrie. You're wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! WHat a great story on being Christlike! I know I need to work on it...Thnaks!

Anonymous said...

by the way...THNAKS means thanks when you have a mommy brain and mommy time to type!