I guess that I should say plastic-bagless shopping, because I did use a bag. I used this beautiful bag that is seen in the picture above. Someone gave it to my mom and she didn't want it so she gave it to me. My first thought was grocery bag, since I was on my way to the store. I love the durability, the fabulous handles, and, of course, the primary colors; the riddles on the side are a definite bonus.
I spent around $225 worth of groceries at 2 different stores today, and used 0, that's ZERO, plastic bags! One of those stores was Costco and they use boxes and not bags so that helped, but still. I was so proud of myself and was excited to tell Weston when I got home.
I thought I'd let him bring everything in first and see if he noticed (he unloads the car and I put everything away).
C: "Is that everything?"
W: (after taking a big drink and wiping his mouth) "Yup."
C: "Did you notice anything?"
W: "Did you get your hair cut?"
C: "There are no BAGS."
W: (looking around the kitchen) "Cool."
Hmm. Well I thought so. He really did too; I could hear it in his tone and read it on his face. He is just a man of small words, literally.
I feel like I helped, at least in a very small way, reduce the amount of nasty trash that fills the dumps, and decreased, ever so minutely, the demand for plastic bags which may someday in turn decrease the supply.
Might I add at this point that although "being/going green" may be seen as trendy, I think that it is a GREAT thing and I am ALL for it. In fact, I don't think that it is a trend at all, but a great movement. In this time of near recession it is nice to think that there is progression in some way; that something good may come of spiked gas prices (I realize that it isn't entirely due to the rise of gas prices but it is a factor).
And about recycling. We have been doing it and, let me tell you, if we can do it, anyone can. We have to haul our stuff 45 minutes away. No free labeled bins, and no curb side service in ranchville. We have cut our rubbish amount by, mmm, A LOT. In 3 weeks we only filled one outdoor curb-side-size trash can. During that period we had at least 30 visitors who stayed for at least one meal. Weston was amazed and overjoyed that his Saturday garbage run was becoming so easy (of course the recycle run was increasing but I usually do that on my way in to town). When shopping now I noticed that I look at the packaging and ask myself, "Can I recycle this?"
Recycling, reusing (including one of my favorite past times, thrifting), being more eco-conscious, using eco-friendly products: I think these are all marvelous and wonderful things.
So, next time you are at the store and the cashier asks you if you "prefer paper or plastic?" (That is one thing(of the many things) that bugs me about Walmart: they don't ask (there is no paper option), they just start throwing things in the plastic bags. And many times it is one thing per bag.) Just smile and say "Neither, thank you. I brought my own bag." Because you did, right?
The city of San Franciso voted to outlaw the use of plastic checkout bags in large supermarkets by Fall 2007 and in large chain pharmacies about six months after that. I think that's great. Many other communities are also doing their part to be more eco-conscious. My brother lives in Norway and over there they are almost fanatical about recycling and most people walk or ride bikes.
I know, I'm a nerd. But I really think that it is a good thing. For "green" tips and other eco tidbits and articles check out treehugger or planet green.
7 comments:
r you im proud fo you im sure it felt goo. I need to be a little more green myself now. Im actually thinking of riding our bike trailer to the store to get groceries due to the gas prices. i put 40.00 bucks in two days ago and im on empty. pretty scary huh. i think its making people think more of the earth and the law of consecration. i think its a good move forward too if we all just strive to become more green. way to go carrie
You are AWESOME!
Okay,
So first of all, your daughter looks just like you. Second of all, I must say that I was not surprised at all when I read that you lived on a farm. Thirdly, I agree with the ecofriendliness. I live in New Zealand and almost everyone is green. It is a way of life, I think somewhat becuase our small size leads to less resources. I have learned how totally wasteful most people are in the States, including myself. Here I recyle, hang clothes to dry, even in winter, take reusable shopping bags when I can remember, etc!
Good for you! I have thought a lot about going bagless and recycling. I guess it's time to stop thinking and start doing!
Hey Carrie! Thanks for the inspiration!
hey-I had to order more checks...so I will mail you some cash or in two weeks mail a check...just FYI
J-me
way to go green. I have always brought my own bags to grocery stores. Now I have invested in the cloth bags and am loving it. I hate having so many bags around the house.
Hey, I still use plastic bags, but I turn them in at the kids school because they do a walmart recycling program where they collect all the bags and turn them into walmart who gives cash to the schools. so you've got a give a little more credit to walmart-they are trying. Also, they make a contest out of it- the school with the most pounds of bags turned in gets a "cool assembly" at their school. I don't really know what it is or if its really that cool, because our school has never won. However, we still save our bags and turn them in regardless, so i can get rid of them and feel good about it. right now on summer break we have 3 big bags of bags sitting on our dryer, which i KNOW is driving Cameron crazy and he is tempted to take them out to the garbage, but he knows that recycling is important to me too. you know i recycle too, but i just put it out on the curb and don't have to drive it into town, so WAY TO GO!
Post a Comment