I realize that we are not the typical cowpeople. We don't wear wranglers, or cowboy boots, cowboys hats, or oversized belt buckles. We don't ride horses. But that's OK. Who says you can't round up cows on a 4-wheeler, or brand them wearing adidas tennis shoes and running pants, or, in Spencer's case, a fireman's hat? We do, however, have an old truck and a cow dog; we do listen to country (sometimes...I prefer my reggae or alternative); and, oh yeah, most importantly, we love living in the country, and love the wholesomeness, quiet, freedom, family closeness and work opportunities it offers!
I'm not a big fan of the whole branding thing, but I do recognize that it needs to be done. The kids and I will usually peek in on how things are going down by the barn and take some photos and hang out for a bit. But my job in the whole process isn't there with the cows at all, but in the kitchen making grub for when the whole hungry bunch is finished with their 4 or so hour cow traumatizing session (it's not that bad i guess). I don't love cooking but I do like it more than burning the hair off of a cow's side.
Last saturday we had like 20 people er so here helping out. It was really nice of everyone to do so. Two of Weston's brothers, Jamon and Tyson, and 2 of their friends came up from Utah for the weekend. These Andelin boys have been doing this for a long time (they've had cows in Nevada for like 25 years or so) so they pretty much have a system. They branded 130 calves, and ran more than that of mother cows through the shoot to pour something or other on them (you can see how much I pay attention...all I know is that it smelled like Windex). Anyway, here are some pictures of the whole thing. I didn't put on any pictures of the actual process just in case an animal rights activist sees this (jk..i just didn't want to).
Who's the hotty in the hat? (not a cowboy hat by the way...it's a Metro Richmond Zoo hat)
Spencer is "ready to WORK!, Mommy".

The gate-keepers are in position.
Spencer and buddy trying out the calf squeeze.
Hey hot stuff! "Huh?"
Can you tell who the "real" cowboy is? Clockwise from left: Tyson, Cody, Jamon, Weston, Spencer.
Jamon's friend Stacy and Kate hung out together. That was really nice of Stacy to help out.
Spencer and Tyson.

"Weeee!" Rope swing in the barn.
Swinging Tys.

"Moo! It's over! Moooove over honey. It's back to ruminating for me," say the cows when they are thankfully back in their pasture.
3 comments:
Cool! Ty and I did this once. Our friend grew up on a cattle ranch and we went up there (Idaho) for the branding and all the other gross things they do to the cows. Tyler was covered in cow slop and throwing those cows around and I was watching (wanting to join in but not allowed to) and I was loving watching the man work. It's such a manly event that it was kinda hot to watch. Weird I know. Your ranch is beautiful.
Next time I'd love to come up and join you guys! THAT and swing on that tire swing.
It looks like everyone had a fun weekend! Its weird not to have cows on the ranch in sparks anymore - it used to be a tradition here. Cute pictures of everyone!
Post a Comment