Once upon a time we were basking on a hot beach in Hawaii,
soaking up some major Vitamin D, breathing sweet, salty air, listening to waves crash on the sandy shore, and the palms swaying in the breeze.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch it
S N O W E D !
When we left for Hawaii on Nov. 8th, we were wearing t-shirts. It was around 60 degrees. It was gorgeous colorful Fall.
But when we came back on the 15th, it was -7 degrees with a foot of snow on the ground.
(have I already mentioned that?)
It made things a bit interesting getting everyone home the night we got back. We flew in at 8pm, got home finally at 11:30, but didn't get to bed until 1 something.
It's funny, because during the warm months, somewhere in my wee brain I think, Oh, Winter...we can rest from the labors of the warmer seasons.
But then Winter comes (even though right now it is still officially Fall), and I remember the work - different work - but still work: thawing frozen pipes, trips upon trips for wood, keeping the house warm, breaking frozen water for animals, feeding cows, plowing/shoveling snow, getting everyone dressed to go outside, cleaning everything up from everyone coming back inside, driving in the snow (bleh!). Really, I'm not writing this to complain. Work is good for the body and the soul, and we chose and very much love this lifestyle. Winter is still less work than the other months, though. And it is dark so much more, which means more cuddling, reading, game playing, standing by the fire together. That I do love.
4 seasons are great! (However, I may not have been saying that the moment I walked out of the airport after our trip to Hawaii. We dropped 80+ degrees that day.)
One of the very best things of snow, of course, is
PLAYING IN IT! These big kids need help with neither prompt nor prep when it comes to this, for which I am grateful. They just dress it up and get out.
Some snowboard in a slightly different way. The oldest 3 are good at it, but the little ones prefer sledding on them. We need to get some real sleds, I guess.
Spencer's a good big brother to Zoe.
The Rancher just loves this weather!
Ha, ha! Right, Rancher?
No comments:
Post a Comment