Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Getting the Tree & Fabric Wrapped Christmas Books



Last Saturday we took our first (and only so far) family-of-8 car ride up the mountain to get our tree.  It was an overcast, little bit drizzly day, but we wanted to go before the road got too snowy and icy.  Instead it was mushy and we almost got stuck one time and almost jack-knifed the trailer.  


Weston and the older 4 set out in the mushy snow to look for a tree, and I stayed in the car with the little ones where it was dry and warm.  It took them approximately 9 minutes before the boys were walking back to the car with our tree.


Ezra got snow in his shoe along the way.  He asked for new snow boots for Christmas.


Weston cut down another tree for someone else, and Kate and the boys got one for their own room.


We got home and got right to work.  The kids were sooooo excited.  They would put some on our tree, and then every once in a while run up and put one of their ornaments on their tree in their bedroom.  I put a $5 thrift store huge afghan around the tree for a colorful tree skirt, and the kids put blankets around their own trees, mainly to just get them to stand up since they don't have tree stands.  

Zoe enjoyed laying under the tree.  I remember doing that as a child.  I would pick a piece of silver tinsel off the tree and burn it in half against one of the big colorful bulbs.



She almost fell asleep.


Tree up and decorated and it wasn't even December yet.  Awesome!  Kate went shopping with Weston that morning and got her person's present and had it wrapped and everything by that night too.

**************************************

I saw this idea a year or 2 ago about wrapping your Christmas books and opening one each day before Christmas.  I thought it was cute and wanted to adopt it as one of our traditions.  We did it last year and the kids really liked it.  We add movies in there too.  I crudely wrap them scrap fabric, tie with raffia, and cut numbers out of white copy paper.  I like wrapping things in fabric.  It makes for quieter opening, and I just like the way it looks.


Then we line them up on top of the windows where they wait for their assigned date.  
I like the way they look up there, all homey like.




Photobucket