I love General Conference weekend. In the simplest of terms, it is relaxing and inspiring. It is nice to cuddle together with my family (or even if not cuddle, then at least gather together) with blankets by the fire (yesterday - today was too warm) and hear such inspiring messages that make you want to live a better life.
It goes by much too quickly, in my opinion, even though it is two 2-hour sessions each of the 2 days, plus a 2 hour session for the young men and men on Saturday evening, and one for the women the Saturday before.
General Conference is a warmth that I have known my whole life; it is a comfort like a blanket of peace and security that I have felt each time I have watched it. As a girl we would drive to our chapel in Richmond, about 30-40 minutes away, and watch it there. I remember it being long, and playing with my doll on the floor, and watching the static-y lines on the top corner of the huge screen.
My kids have different viewing circumstances, but share my childhood opinion of thinking that it is so long. But they stay quiet and "listen" for a fair amount of it all by doing such things as coloring, or doing puzzles, or crosswords, or hot glueing quarters (Spencer),
or ninja fighting with vacuum attachments.
Between and after sessions there is some good, dirty, outside playing to be done, to make up for all that sitting in front of the television all clean. (We watched it this year via Roku on the BYU channel, by the way. It was great seeing it on the bigger screen besides my laptop's dinky screen.)
Spencer spent hours and hours this past week digging and pick-axing a huge hole in the front yard. When it was to his desired depth, he covered it with wood, and then dug a tunnel to get into it. It is the biggest hit around here right now. Well, that and the puppies. Puppies in the hole is the bees knees to them. And it keeps them all in the business of being busy, dirty, smelling-like-puppy children, as they should be.
He wanted to show me how he gets in, and wanted me to take pictures of it.
He has gotten it to where he can climb in, turn around, and climb back out. Jiles and Zoe LOVE it in there and the 2 of them fit perfectly. I assure you that it is very safe, and I can lift the boards up at any time to get them out, if need be.
Random passed out puppy that Spencer covered up with his sweat shirt (there's that piece of chalk):
While they were all playing in the "hole", I was decorating the front porch a bit and hanging bats that we made out of construction paper of few days ago. I went up and down that ladder for each bat. It's lame, but that totally wore me out. Actually dragging that ladder around probably did it.
Can you find Spencer in the photo above?
I don't think that I've mentioned on here that we painted our house white, have I? Well we did, and I absolutely LOVE IT!! I mean like 1000x more than before. I'll have to share more photos of it later.
Jiles and Ezra were so sweet and picked flowers for me (even though they were growing in my flower pots on the front porch steps). I taped them on the screen door, since I had the tape out for the bats already. I like the bright red on white. (And please don't look at the cruddy paint job I did on the screen door. Great, you're looking now, aren't you??? Screen doors are really hard to paint! For me, anyway.)
There were a lot of airplanes in the sky at once yesterday evening. I don't know what the deal was with that.
Just after the last session of conference, we headed outside into 70 degrees! So nice!
Next General Conference will be the first weekend of April next year. It is always the first weekend of April and the first weekend of October. I like to listen to recordings of previous conference talks throughout the year, though, as I do things such as mop the floor, or fold laundry. It makes mundane chores all the more uplifting.

No comments:
Post a Comment