They were up and dressed and at the bus stop before I even went downstairs that morning. They were 30 minutes early at the stop, waiting on the gate for the big yellow machine to take them. Weston said they could ride their motorcycles to the bus stop, and that was 1/2 the excitement, I think. Okay, maybe 1/4 of it.
I went up with a brush, comb and cup of water to at least calm their bed-heads. We waited for the bus together. Their excitement was adorable. I was excited for them, even though I had been more than dragging my feet about them going back.
Their legs still showed proof of their time of freely playing outside all summer day long. Not that that will change with school starting. They will still be scraped and bruised and bandaged for the majority of their childhood. Which, I think anyway, is the way it should be, sorta. My legs were always like that even through college. It is a good sign of an active childhood.
They had chosen their outfits themselves the night before. I had found Spencer's t-shirt at the thrift store a few weeks before and he wanted to wear it the first day of school. "Warning: Daydreaming in progress. Do not disturb." It sounds like both him and me. That's why I bought it.
I had Spencer fold one of his socks over so that it was a little more the length of the other, unmatched one. Our little country school is as non-judgemental as a school can get, making it a great place for a child to grow into him/herself without ridicule and snobbery.
There are 17 kids this year. Spencer has 2 boys in 5th grade with him, Kate is the lone 4th grader (but gets to sit next to her best friend who is the lone 6th grader), and Ezra is with 2 girls in 2nd grade.
We couldn't find Kate's backpack, so she carried all of her school supplies in another cloth bag instead.
The first day is always a half day and they are always served a pancake breakfast.
School:
After school they mounted their motorcycles for the little ride home.
This is like the only time Weston let them ride with shorts and not pants.
Jiles has one more year, but really thought that he was big enough this time. He told me that he was bigger. I'm glad that he's not going yet.
first day 2011 and 2012
first day 2010
first day 2009
first day 2008










2 comments:
I love the bikes. Actually, I love the kids on the bikes!
xoxo
A pancake breakfast and a total of 17 students. You really ARE living the boonie life! I love reading about it!
Post a Comment