Hi there.
Still alive here.
And right now so not blog-title-giving savvy.
Sometimes I am really not very good at blogging.
That includes making blog posts on my blog, and on checking other people's blogs.
I miss when I don't.
But sometimes I am just too tired, or don't make it a priority, or whatever.
This week was Spring Break. We had absolutely nothing scheduled - I mean anywhere that we had to be. We did a lot, but exactly what we wanted to do the entire week. It was a very nice break.
Soooo nice.
We have done some fun things.
One of the days, for a little while, we went with the rancher to check on some cows. He burned stuff, the kids explored an old barn, we found some eggs, did some hay-jumping and sliding, we almost burned down the haystack (of 6 remaining round bales), did a drive-by calf grab, among other things.
This little fire was all fun and games until it got too close to the little haystack that we were jumping on. Then we were running back and forth from the spigot to the fire with a bucket and a little water jug. We got it out, though, with all of about 18 inches to spare.
After we got it out, we drove out into the field. Rancher hung on the side of the suburban next to me and told me which calf to drive by, which I dutifully did. When we were right upon it, he jumped off and grabbed the calf. The calf started bawling, which makes all of the mother cows freak out thinking that it's their baby and they all come running toward it. Spencer jumped out and opened the back door of the 'burb and the rancher dude hopped in hanging on to the calf. We drove off with and the mama was not too happy. The little calf is about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old and is starving to death. The mama has no milk for it anymore. It was scrawny. If it was a healthy 2 1/2 to 3-week-old calf, there is no way that we could've gotten it that easily.
Rancher loaded it up in the trailer and took it home.
When we got home, he tried to give it a bottle. It would wiggle away, butt Weston, then butt the bottle. It finally drank, which is definitely a life saver for it.
It's fun to follow our rancher. The little ranchkins would do it everyday, all day, if they could.



2 comments:
Oh, that wasp nest makes me shudder.
Rainboots+laces=cool
glad you got the fire out and saved the calf! I like the last pic of the kids peeking into the trailer.
Post a Comment