Monday, November 5, 2012

Our Halloween

Long time, no bloggity.

Here's our Halloween:

I found a few pictures from October 2004 for the magnet board.
That's ^ Weston with the long blonde hair, and Kate the little 4-month-old skunk, and Spencer in a hay fort with his cousin Ethan.

School parade through our teeny tiny towny.

Every year they walk the 1/4 mile or less down to the fire station, take pictures, and then walk back to the school for the party.  It is a fun and cute tradition.

Spencer decided that he wanted to be a basketball player.  Easy. 
Kate was a witch for school, and Ezra was a wizard/ninja (that's him with the staff ^). 

Zoe was Scooby Doo.

Our post mistress came out to watch.  Isn't our post office teeny and cute?  I park right in front and never ever have to wait in line.



Back at the school for the Witch's Brew, ghosty strawberries, veggie cat, and yummy homemade sugar cookies.

Scooby snacks.

 Ezra's Mr. Sneaky and Kate's Earfy.  Ezra was pretty bummed that he didn't get a prize.  He told me when he was showing me his pumpkin, "I did it all by myself, except not for the staples, and I never get a prize." So sad for Ezra.  He did a really good job on it. 

For Halloween night we usually go to the community center, our few neighbors houses and then go home, which is plenty of action and plenty of candy.  But this year, this year there was a list.  The list was for those who wanted to have trick-or-treaters come to their house.  We got on that list.  We had only had 1 trick-or-treater family the 6 Halloweens before this one.  The list had about 18 stops.  A whole lot for us.  

This list also changed the dynamics of our house.  For one, if we were on the list, then that meant that trick-or-treaters would come; we would have to decorate the porch.  And for two, we couldn't both take the kids out like we normally did.  One of us would have to take them and one would have to stay home to hand out candy.  Golly, this was so complicated.  I really wanted to do both.

So we worked on the porch, fake spider webs and all:   






(This is what it looked like at night) :

Oh, and here is a random little canning ring pumpkin that I copied from Life as a Thrifter.  Just thought I'd share.


And then went inside to get dressed up.  This time Kate was an old lady:

I cut off part of my very-cheap-and-already-broken necklace and taped them on her ears, and popped out the lenses on my sunglasses.  Those were the best we had on hand.


I smeared lip gloss on her checks.  Would you believe that I don't own any blush or lip stick?

This is her old lady face:

Ezra was the super stellar Orange-Haired Ninja Wizard!


(wearing his shirt backward on purpose and my boots all night long)


 Jiles was Simba, which is what Ezra was last year.  Easy costume.

And Spencer was...
"A cowboy!"  Woohoo! I love when they put their own costumes together.  Although, I have lots of fun when they let me help them (like Kate did).

Zoe fell asleep before she had a chance to be a ladybug.

Weston took them trick-or-treating, and I stayed home to handle all of those trick-or-treaters, and put Zoe to bed.

This is the very first year here at the ranch that we have bought candy for Halloween.  This is our 7th Halloween here.

Actually, we left a bowl out with a note, so that we could both go, but just as we were leaving, some friends were pulling in, so we turned around and Weston dropped me off.  That was fun having little trick-or-treaters.  It was one of the 2 girls from Ezra's class and her little sister.  We talked for a few minutes and then they left to go on to the next house.



The second they were walking away, I felt lonely.  I wanted to be part of the party.  I didn't like this sitting at home and waiting thing. 

After they left, I looked out the window for car lights, but didn't see any.  So then I cleaned up, looked out the window, made some hot chocolate from scratch, looked out, made au gratin potatoes from a box, looked out, and got some other grub ready, and looked out.  I looked out the window every 3 minutes or so looking for cars to bring more trick-or-treaters.

Our doorbell rang once that night.  It was a girl and her 2 cute little nieces.  (The first car with the 2 girls walked up to the porch with me, so they didn't need to ring it.)  

I was a little disappointed that we didn't have more people come, but it was fine, and soon Weston and the kids came home.  That's what I really wanted.  

They dumped out their loot right away.


And were so excited to have ALL that candy!


 Weston told me how it took them an hour and a half to go to 10 houses (including the community center) and he practically had to drag them to the last few houses.  Kate and Spencer stayed in the car for a couple of houses, and Kate even actually fell asleep!  (Maybe it was part of her old lady act.)  That is so funny and so different from how it was for Weston and me when we were kids.  Oh well, I guess our kids are still pretty young.  And this is the most excitement that they've had on a Halloween.   Hahaha!  Personally, I totally dig this low key Halloween thing.

After we cleared the candy off the table, we busted out Dominos and the hot chocolate and the other grub and had a good time playing and eating together.  That was definitely my favorite part of the day.


"And how was your day, Sonny?"



Photobucket

4 comments:

Staci said...

Love Kate's costume. The pictures are so funny of her.

The Mrs. said...

I cant stop laughing! I love Kate and her costume! I have to show my kids...

I NEED homeschooling advise/help! Can you email me some of the books you use? Please? You're amazing.

loves
Jamee
xoxo

Unknown said...

Kate's costume was great! I love how you decorated your porch.

Natalie in Sparks said...

Love it! Eveything looks so cute (as always) and Kates outfit is hilarious! Her facial exressions were cracking me up! I love the belt cutting into her chubby tummy and the cane - nice touches!

I know what you mean about wanting to be part of the action. We don't get trick or treaters out here too, so we just pick a neighborhood and all go as a family! Next year you could drive 40 min. into Emmett, trick or treat for an hour and get 3 times the candy for about the same amount of time they went for this year! (it's all about maximizing your time) This year, Kyle went with a friend and hit a whole big neighborhood in 1 1/2 hours! He printed a map of the neighborhood, drew a route, and they ran from house to house! He got 5 lbs of candy! (which he is eating sparingly and will last all winter I hope)