Friday, February 24, 2012

Reflecting Grandma Great


Weston's Grandma passed away early yesterday morning.  I look at these pictures and still can't believe it.  She died peacefully with her 5 living children around her.  It's awe-some to think of where her spirit is now.  With her husband and 2 children that have passed on before her.

When I met her for the first time I mentioned to her that all of my grandparents had passed away already, and at least 8 years previous.  She said that she was my grandmother now.

I am so glad that we took the opportunity to visit her last August, and that we took these pictures.  When we were there one of our children got confused and called her Grandma Great on accident, and she said that she liked that, so that is what we call her now.   I remember when we left her that Sunday last August (the same day that our Suburban broke down), and began our drive north on the freeway.  I was lost in thought for a bit, and then, when I came out of thought, I told Weston was I thinking about.  I was thinking about how much we need these older people in our lives.  Because we love them, yes, but also to help us remember how things should be.

  

What an amazing lady.  She definitely lived life to the fullest.  She would have been 93 in a few weeks.  Just last month she was in southeast Asia riding elephants.  Not even kidding.  She has had quite the life.  (She danced with Lyndon B. Johnson when he was the President of America, for one.)  I am going to go read her autobiography.


Photobucket

4 comments:

The Mrs. said...

This made me tear up. Especially the part where she said that she was your Grandma now.

The first time I met Grandma Pace, she told Daron that he was robbing the cradle with me. HA! We laugh about it still.

Jamee
xoxo

Fisher Family said...

Sometimes I don't think our grandparents realize the impact they have on our lives..... We lived in Brigham City before we moved to Maryland. Too bad we weren't still there when your car broke down :)

D Sheley said...

Sweet. I remember dropping you off to go see her just before you were married. She is awesome! ANd so true, we need them and the many lessons and inspiration they can pass on to us. They have lived life and know a thing or two....We send our love and condolences. She has left a wonderful legacy.

Megan and Keli'i said...

Sounds like an amazing woman who lived an amazing life. It's true what you say, we need people like Grandma Great to help us remember how things should be. They put perspective into our lives and make us better. Lots of love.