Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Fourth and Some Thoughts

S

Our first, and only, trip out as a family of 7 was on one of my favorite days of the year: Independence Day.  There was NO way that I was staying at home and have it be just like any other day.  So we loaded into the suburban, all 7of us, and headed to my sister's house an hour and a half away for a festive get-together; nothing crazy, or overwhelming, but a nice time at her house.  

As we drove away on our dirt road with a cloud of dry dust hovering along behind us, I turned around to look at my 5 children.  It was a pretty sight.  The car was clean (thanks to Weston) and everyone was strapped in with their matching patriotic tie-dyed t-shirt.  I felt a great sense of accomplishment; my first feeling of order and control in such a long time.  It was a small moment, to be short-lived, but at least I felt it.

We pulled up to her house with the temperature near 100 degrees.  They had some friends and neighbors over, and our mom and dad (hooray!).  They also had a bounce house and a slip-n-slide and lots of water involved with both.  

My sister, Miss Holly, showing off her patriotic bunting and flowers:


I love my family!  
We made the matching tie-dyes (late) Saturday night.  I was inspired by her.   I saw those and remembered that I had a tie-dying kit tucked in with my paints.
Can you see Zoe?  She is sort of camouflaged amongst us.

Right after the picture above, the 3 oldest ran and changed into their swimming suits.  It was all I could do just to round them up for this shot before they darted off to play.

Miss Kate in her new swimming suit.  I got a size 7-8 for her, which was way too big.  She'll grow into it soon enough, though.


Mary Sue, the Grammie, and mi madre!
Grammie and cutie Katie.

Spencer and cousin Aidan.  They wanted to know who was taller.  Uh?

Weston and Jiles say, "Mmm, mmm.  Finger-lickin' good."
There was lots of yummy food.

Yea, bounce house!


My niece, Olivia (3 years old).

They seriously never tired of bouncing.

Pops!  I love him! And he loves when I take pictures of him eating. :)

This one is a bit scary.  He didn't even want to look at the picture afterward.  It cracks me up, though.  Wow, I look a lot like my dad!

Another one of my cute and sweetheart nieces, Sadie (13 years old).

Zoe kept pulling her head band into her eyes.

Looking up at Grandad.  Jiles played forever with that truck.

Ezra on the slip-n-slide.
In yo face!  Slam that!
Intense badminton game.  I love that game, for real!

Pretty, pretty, itty bitty.

Ezra with the cheesy Doritos grin.

Cheesy Doritos makes one thirsty.  Here is a convenient drinking fountain.  Just open wide.


Pretty patriotic flower pot.

Painted face on a girl that I didn't know.


Ezra slid and slipped and slipped and slid to his lil' heart's content.

Ji still playing with the semi.
Beautiful baby boy.

Spencer concentrating on the badminton game.
Daddy and baby girl just as the sun is dipping on the horizon.

Daddy and his litt'lest boy.

It begins with random fireworks in the southern sky.

Ezra and his exciting sparkler.

Spencer and Kate all lit up with excitement.

And the works go on.
We finally left their house after 11 PM, which meant not getting home until 12:30.  I was exhausted, being short on sleep anyway, and so was Weston, the go-to-bed-early rancher, who had to drive.  I had him tell me the stories of movies for as long as he could to keep him awake.  Then we played the radio game.  I creamed him (right, Weston?).  We sang out loud to the songs we knew.  I love that.  I was really awake for Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" and Blues Traveler's "Run Around", but then I got super sleepy again.  

When we get home from somewhere late, as we did the night of the 4th, and all of the kids are asleep, Weston carries them upstairs and I get them ready for bed and tucked in.  I get one last spurt of energy, enough to get them in bed, and enough to be thankful that those sleeping little bodies are mine and Weston's to raise.  

In these days of adjusting and of little sleep, our patience has been on the short end and it has been hard to be positive.  When I see those little sleeping bodies, I feel both guilty and grateful.  They have no guile, and are so forgiving to us grown-ups who are supposed to have it all together, but don't.  There are so many things that I want to be, and to be better at.  Mostly I want to be more loving, and more like Jesus Christ in patience and all that He is.  Thank heavens for forgiveness and thank goodness for tomorrow.


Photobucket

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't know how you do it, girlie! 5 is a lot of kids, but when you take time to love on them instead of being focused on the little things, i guess it probably feels more manageble, huh?
just observing :)
glad you had a great 4th!
{alicia}
~who is contemplating having more kids and wondering if i'll be able to handle it :)

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 said...

looks like a wonderful 4th! bouncing and sliding and cosuins and sparklers...what more could you ask for?? your shirts look great, way better than ours did! i think they do look better usually when you use the kits!

The Mrs. said...

You look amazing! I can only hope I look half as good as you do someday soon.

Thanks for all the pics! They make me happy.

I know what you are talking about with the kids being so forgiving and such. I feel so bad right now because I was sitting in church and couldn't stop throwing up and crying because I feel so sick. Olivia has a talk and Carter has a scripture today and I just wanted to be with them...but my mom made me go home. I have so much guilt not being able to take care of my own kids.

Love you much.
Jamee
xoxo

Sijbrich said...

As I was reading your subtitles, "Here are the kids still bouncing, Here's Jiles still playing with the truck" I thought, "And here's Carrie, still taking photos." I would have snuck into your sister's house and taken a nap. Go, sista, for never tiring of documenting your family's life.

liko said...

that last paragraph, that's how i feel sometimes and i only have two. you are amazing!
love the matching tie-dyes!!
and, uh, who's taller??

Megan and Keli'i said...

Oh my goodness, Carrie, you look AMAZING! You did not just have your FIFTH baby like two seconds ago!

I love all of your photos. Love them. What a beautiful fam.

And I totally know how you feel about feeling both guilty and grateful. Kids are so forgiving. Thank goodness because I can be one witch of a mom when I'm short on sleep.

You are my hero.

Natalie in Sparks said...

Wonderful photography Carrie - it is all so beautiful and colorful and expressive. You totally capture the feeling in those moments! So the tie dye was super cute too and fun I am sure, and for a mom who is sleep deprived with a newborn, you are amazing to have fun new projects like matching patiotic tie dye shirts just on time for the 4th of July. How fun are you!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, thanks so much for your thoughts. You are a great Mommy, it is so wonderful to hear how moms really feel so similar: guily, grateful, sleepdeprived, joy, overwhelmed, all those good things mixed together.

Jesse B

Crys said...

I just found your blog! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!