Thursday, May 19, 2011

Not So Normal Checkup


I had a checkup today.  My 34 week one.  But when the midwife measured me I was only measuring 30 weeks.  She got me into the ultrasound room for them to check everything out.  The ultrasound tech did measurements, looked at the placenta, measured the fluid, and checked the blood flow of the umbilical cord.  Baby girl was kicking and swirling and moving like crazy, so it took a while to get it all done.  Verdict:  The placenta looked fine, but the abdomen and legs are measuring 4 weeks behind, she is small (4.1 pounds and should be more around the 5 pound range) and the blood flow in the umbilical cord is not flowing as sufficiently as it should be.  They measured 6 different places on the cord and I heard the tech tell the midwife that 4 of the 6 were abnormal.  That was my main concern.  I asked the midwife what I can do and she said that I just need to take it easy and to rest on my left side several times during the day to help the blood flow and to increase my water intake.  They want me to go in to do a stress test on the baby tomorrow and then go in on Monday for another ultrasound (we live an hour and 10 minutes from the office, so it isn't the most convenient thing, but there's no way we're not doing it.).  Tje midwife and I talked for a bit before I left and I asked a bunch of questions, like had I done/not done something that has caused this, etc.  She said that it was nothing that I had/hadn't done, but just one of those things, and that she will probably be small when she is born, but catch up after she is born.   

I got home from my appointment at about the same time the older 2 kids got home from school, and even though it was beautiful outside, I had the kids stay inside and play so that I could rest and not be constantly getting up to check on them.  I slept/rested/thought for 2 hours.  The worst thing I can do right now is worry.  I'm sure that everything will be okay.  I just want to know more about all of this, as does Weston.  He is going to go with me tomorrow for the stress test, which I am grateful for.  This is the first problem we've had with an unborn baby (except when I was in labor with Spencer and his heart rate plummeted).  Has anyone had, or know anyone who has had, any experience with this type of thing?  I would just like to hear any stories or whatever of similar situations.  Thanks.  I'll report the outcome of the stress test later tomorrow (probably).  I've never had one done on a baby, or me, and don't know quite what to expect.  Hopefully it isn't too stressful.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Keri said...

Oh carrie dear, as you know bby Ryan was under lots of watch during my pregnancy. I as well have a plecenta issue which caused me to do stress test every other day. Theres no need to worry aobut the test. It actually quite relaxing. They just hooked you up to the monitors as you would in the hospital, but most offices carry the same belts. the wrap those belts around your belly nd monitor baby for any sings of stress. always keep your bags packed and in your car for if baby shows nay signs of stress( contractions, low heart rate....ect.) those kinds of things they will deliver you right away. they told emt eh same thing as I cried and worried my days away. they told me it isnt my fault and I did nothing wrong. the only thing they could trace that could be linked to me would be that I was running around and doing too much. Once I stopped and kicked my feet up within 2 weeks baby grew 3 lbs they were pleased. its very hard and specially if youre as active as a mom as I am which i know you are, but just think of your baby girl now. she needs your nutrients and your extra tender loving care. everything else in the house can wait. its a great oppritunity for the kids to learn how to serve their Mother and give back for all we do for them. also with the fluid measurments, if the fluid gets to low or not enouh they worry about oxygen to the baby. oxygen lives in that fluids, so you need to have enough fluid to suplly proper growth and health for baby of course. drink lots add 50% gatorade to your water and drink at least 100 ounces. Perry and I researched a lot and actually found a link to sleep apnea and these type of situations. you can get pregnancy sleep apnea. does weston hear you snore much at ngiht more hen average with you being preggo. email me if you need to talk. you'll get through this. stay calm and take those down times to ponder and read the scriptures. its a great chance to really define the word peace in your soul. its a great experience to endure lifes trials. a lesson that took me a long time to learn but one baby ryan taught me so much through his pregnancy and after brith challenges. good luck loe yalots.

raisingnoblemen@gmail.com

P.S. dont ever be afraid to ask doc questions even if they seem dumb just get it all out and make sure you dont leave till you have all the answers your heart desires.

Keri said...

just as I clicked the submit button i remembered that the Peggo sleep apnea is linked to pre-clampia which i had and I dont think you have right? so forget about that being an option. oh and if your doc office is anything like mine they hooked you up to the monitor while you relaxe and lay in a nice comfy recliner. i remember taking my daily cat naps during those test. good luck ill be anxious to hear how your doing. keep us posted and updated. youre in my prayers.

Keri said...

okay I know I should shut my trap, but I was laying in bed talking to perry and of course he remembers a lot more then I do with my last pregnancy. okay this may not even be your case but its just my story.

We found out there were two cuases to ryan being smaller in the whomb.

#1: I was showing high blood pressure. high blood pressure can make it harder for baby to grow, because its not recieving adiquate oxygen flow in the blood, hence why you lay down more and rest. so that you can give baby better blood flow and nurieshments. But i dont think you have high blood pressure do you?

#2 I found out around week 32 that baby wasnt growing right just as your situation. Mine was due to the fact that the placenta was aging faster then it should meaning it was on the verge of quiting leaving a lack of nutrients in the umblical cord. I was able to delay the aging of the placenta by laying down more and resting.

but in the end it was the blood pressure that got the best of me. hope that helps. okay ill leace you alone im off to bed. goodnight.

Megan and Keli'i said...

Hey Carrie- I am so sorry to hear about what's going on. This is similar to what happened with Erika's baby, except they didn't know why the baby was measuring small and they found out the the umbilical cord had like lesions all over it only after the baby was delivered. I am keeping you in my prayers. Please post again after the stress test tomorrow. I am so sorry you have to go through something like this. I'm sure baby is fine, just small. Aiken was a small one too, only 5.13lb full term and grew an inch and a pound each week for two months. Sometimes they do better out than in. Anyway, keep you in my prayers. Sure love you girl.

The Mrs. said...

WE love you and are praying for you!! I feel so awful. I wish I could help you so you could lay down without feeling the stress.


Keep us updated!!

Jamee
xoxo

The Tomlinsons said...

Carrie, we just want you to know we are thinking about you and your little baby. All will be well.

Sijbrich said...

I feel confident that all will turn out just fine. You'll be in my prayers, too.
Keep us updated!

Maria said...

Hi Carrie. This sorta stuff usually turns out fine but is still scary as a mom. A friend of mine was pregnant with twins and one of the baby's cord eventually got a knot in it and I think the other baby was laying on it weird or something. Anyways, when the babies were born the one with the knot with much smaller in size but just as healthy and is developmental and physically just as healthy as the other (just a little smaller). Good luck with everything!

liko said...

prayng for you and the baby and your family!!