We started soccer this week.
Mmm, mmm. How I LOVE me some soccer!
I'm excited for my kids to play and I hope that they are just as excited. It is a little crazy, though, with 3 kids on 3 different teams, plus a super energetic and wandering toddler, plus a 6 1/2 month pregnant me. I opted on NOT coaching this season, even though they were desperate for coaches.
Oh and this whole equation added to the situation is quite interesting:
3 kids + 3 different teams = lots of gas burned up by Black Magic 99 = $$$$$$$ (and nothing minor).
Black Magic 99 gets 12 miles to the gallon these days and we live 30 miles from the sports complex where all of this soccer-ing goes down. Let us finish the expenditure equation: 60 miles round trip x 4 days a week x 5 weeks divided by 12 miles to the gallon x $3.45 per gallon (which is the rate around here lately)
= $345 in gas for the season.
Are we dedicated or what?
Awesome.
I think that we'll skip Spencer's practices on Mondays which will save us $86.25, more or less. And then we can still have Family Home Evening (at home).
Now on to the good stuff. Meet the athletes:
Spencer McDrille
(Oh, wait. I didn't have my camera at his practice, so we'll have to wait on that one.)
Miss Katie Wyn
She is happy that she knows 4 kids on her team. Considering that she can be a little shy for new things, knowing those kids already really helped her. She had no problem jumping in.

This boy has been waiting for this day for 3 years. Seriously. When I coached Spencer's team when Spencer was 5 and Ezra was not even 2 (3 years ago), Ezra would be right with the rest of the team at practice with his little red size 4 ball dribbling around (and on my hip at the games - that was fun running and reffing and holding a toddler), while Spencer was busy laying on the grass, dreaming about the playground that was in sight, or flipping the goal on top of himself.
This boy Ezra is serious about it.
He practiced dribbling through the cones by himself at Kate's practice when her team was shooting on the goal.
Unfortunately, I think that he was a bit disappointed in his first practice. The coach didn't even start until 6:25 (practice is supposed to start at 6:00) because he was waiting for everyone to show up! (Which they didn't all ever show up). Who does that?! I was bugged. At 6:20 I finally asked him if Ezra and I could use a ball to play with while we waited (since he and everyone else were just standing around talking). That was fun. When they finally started, they practiced for 20 minutes doing a dinky (and very stationary) keep-away game. That was it. I know I shouldn't complain, but... I mainly just felt bad for Ezra. After all that hype and excitement of him finally starting soccer, he was disappointed. I hope that the next practice will be more fun for him. (I was wishing that I had volunteered to be the coach.)
And I suppose we shouldn't forget this one.
Sideline Jiles
athlete-in-waiting
My mom sent us this video last week which was fun to watch right before the kids started playing. It's in Thai, since it is in Thailand, and it reminded me of the jersey that my brother brought me home from his mission there like 12 years ago.
![]() |
| The jersey, and my boots that I've had since high school. |







5 comments:
I love that video!
I sure am not the best (or even that good or good at all at soccer) but I sure can appreciate it like Jiles from the side lines. My goal is to play with the kids this year and they all want to play on teams. Carter finally made the decision to play soccer when he saw Kate!
Thanks Kate!
Jamee
xoxo
Ahhh Yeah for sports and sports us Mommys dig ourselves too. Makes it super fun watching your kiddos engage in a passion of your own huh? Wow I cant believe the gas you have to put into that black magic of yours. crazy but so worth every penny. I knwo the feeling of Monday night practice and FHE. We always eat dinner super early monday afternoon, race off to baseball practice and then race home to end the day with a nice FHE. best part is the kids konk out the minute they hit the pillow ont hose ngihts. have fun
Sweet video.:-)
I love the video. see you guys tomorrow! we're excited.
Yes, we know all about filling up a suburban with gas. and about lugging the kids to and from all the sporting activities...but we don't have to go as far. I complain about driving about 8 miles into sparks for some practices.
Actually, Kaleb is trying baseball this spring, and E and A are doing a soccer "advantage" program. It's like a soccer training program for 10 weeks. The nice thing about theirs is that it's at Lazy 5 park in the lower fields, so they literally walk there - I love it! (first time ever that getting to sports is so easy!)
Post a Comment