Saturday, April 30, 2011

Easter Eggings and Huntings


+

carrots (and turmeric sprinkled in) for yellow eggs & frozen blueberries for a blue/gray & yellow onion skins for red.
+

+

lots of waxiness.  crayons on hot eggs makes for a cool effect (thanks for the tip mom a).

+

3 crafty kids, 1 sleeping toddler, and the momma
=

you might be wondering what happened to the other dozen.  they were either dropped, eaten, smooshed, or in other ways not worthy for the hunt.  
Spencer spent forever coloring this egg with a silver crayon.  In fact, it might be the only one that he decorated.
He specifically asked that I put this on the blog.  I found that funny.  We really never talk about our blog, even though the kids look at it often enough.
.
.
.
.

 


Although the bigger kids were way into hunting eggs, Jiles lost interest after a very short time.  He was more interested in feeding the cat a smooshed egg that I stepped on.
Or just wandering around.

 Ezra has asked me countless times since Easter when we are going to have Easter again and hunt for eggs.  The kids put on a few mock hunts since;  they loved it that much.  And they love eating all the hard-boiled eggs, even though the peel about half the white along with the shell.  We have about 2 dozen left.  Egg salad anyone?

Photobucket

6 comments:

The Tomlinsons said...

I had no idea you could dye eggs with anything other than the Paas kits you buy at the store--awesome!!! You are one amazing mama!

The Castleton Family said...

i LOVE looking at glimpses of your family's life!!! what a fun easter! i love how your eggs turned out! you will have to spill the beans on how you became the world's best and coolest mom!!!

Belinda said...

Amazing photos and lovely eggs!!

Tia said...

I love the intense colors you have with your dyed eggs. Spencer's silver egg is awesome.

Natalie in Sparks said...

beautiful eggs! Where did you learn about coloring them with foods? Very creative and more natural and fun, even though it was messy. ANd did you say onion skins make red? wow, I would never guess! They look awesome! So are you eating egg salad sandwiches like everyday? We dyed 18 total and that's enough for us! (we hunt for the plastic eggs) Oh and tell Spencer his Silver egg is the best!

Elise said...

That's so cool that you made your own egg dye! I love it.