Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wee, Wee, Wee All the Way Home


Pigs say what?
Oink?
Wee, wee, wee?
Well, yeah.
But they can also put out a high-pitched (shrill, really) little girl scream when you are carrying them somewhere that they don't want to go. 
It is hideous and ridiculously annoying.
I found that out last Saturday.

Our stair-step children.
Spencer is raising a pig for 4-H.  He will sell it at the fair at the end of the summer.  We are raising a pig for us.  It has a different fate (come on, we are ranchers not vegetarians).
We went and picked our 2-month-old pigs out on Saturday.  It was a nice little field trip, and on such a beautiful day.

Checking out the swine options.  Ezra with his pants on backward and one pant leg in the boot, and one out, as always.
Our wee one with the weeing wee ones.
Spencer chose his pig and named it Eater.  I am sure that it will live up to its name.


We picked out the other one.  The kids named it Bobo.  Or is Booboo?   I call it The Black Pig.
It is portly, but not very pretty.  Pigs, in general, are not very pretty, in my opinion.  Sorry, Babe and Wilbur, but it is true.


Ugh.

Okay, the little ones are pretty cute.  
Babe (I'm speaking to the movie star pig here - (he reads my blog)), you are cute too, I guess.  I love your movie.  It is one of my favorites right now.

Can he catch it?
Yes, with a little help. 
Ezra was laughing so hard running around chasing the pigs.  He gets so giddy about everything.  I love it.  He kept doing the wheel barrow with them (as seen in the picture below).  I don't think that they loved it. 

Our rig, consisting of Black Magic '99 (our suburban) and the 2-horse horse trailer (below), was The Pig Rig (title for the day only):

They have been at our house, in their pig pen outside, for 4 days.  Today was the first day that I went over to their pen, and MAN, given that the wind is blowing in the right direction and you are down wind from them, they STANK!
I see why they have such a bad reputation with the olfactories (the smelling nerves).


Photobucket

6 comments:

carrie @ the boonie life said...

I am pretty sure she is saying Ugh about me.

Weston.

I did shave the other day.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Fun adventures! Your photos are fantastic! I'm relieved to hear you mention the smell. Ugh! At the fair, that is the one area I can't go into. Not that I won't, I really can't. I'm not a weakling when it comes to stink...really. I mean, I'm raising seven kids, four being boys, I know stink, but pig stink is just...ugh!

It'll be fun to see how all of this develops. Glad you got an ugly pig. It might be hard to do the inevitable if he was cute.

Roberts blog said...

I have loved, loved the last three or four posts. Good job Carrie. You have a sweet deal going on.

Staci said...

We raised a pig once, but only for a week until we found its owner. Fun for kids, but I wouldn't want to do it now.

Weston, I was actually going to compliment your scruffy face. I like it.

The Mrs. said...

We loved raising pigs.

When they were far far away and they didn't get out of the pen.

We would raise them for friends too and the kids loved it.

Until they ate our newborn baby lamb.

Still, a fun experience.

Jamee
xoxo

Natalie in Sparks said...

Pigs are.....just pigs! They do live up to their name! They eat like pigs and they smell really bad! THey are cute as babies, in a piggy sort of way.
Lucky you had the trailer to put them in....we brought ours home from Palomino valley in the back of the suburban in a pet carrier. It was the stinkiest 30 minute ride I have ever had! (even worse than the baby calf ride from Fallon and they had stinky scours) I think we need a truck. Then I don't have to endure more stinky rides!