Saturday, November 6, 2010

waiting for the herd


They worked the cows this week. 
Vaccinated.
Preg checked.
Whatever else.
We went down just as they were beginning the "all done, now let's eat" meal that Grandma had prepared. 
 We talked to Daddy for the first time that day.
It was getting close to 3 o'clock.

After lunch, he and Grandpa were going to push the cows to a different location, about 3 miles away.
They wanted me to drive the truck and trailer, in which to bring the horses back in.
I had never driven a truck with a trailer.
I had to document.
Oh, and piece of cake driving it (of course I only had to turn once and I didn't have to back up, thank goodness - I can back up a golf cart and trailer no problem, from my zoo pooper scooper days, but I'v never attempted anything this big).

We had to wait for over an hour for them to push them all that 3 miles. 
We didn't mind waiting.
It was actually quite lovely.
We toured the "Old Hotel" that G&G are fixing up (the cows were headed to the pasture behind it). 
It's still pretty rustic in there, but it has great potential.  
It is 100 years old or something like that.
It really was a hotel.
We walked to a nearby "wood" with 2 huge maple trees.


 I relaxed on my backside in the crunchy leaves, and breathed the deliciousness of decomposing leaves - mmm, LOVE that smell!  It takes me back to my Virginian childhood.
After a while we headed back through the pasture, enjoying sitting in it before the cows took it over, and with them their cow pies.

 The boys disappeared in the tall, dried grass.
Then we headed for here...
where we would spend the rest of our time sitting and watching from the top.

At the top...

  
Watching them come.

 We counted them as they passed through the gate and into the pasture.
111...112...113...
 Spencer was sneezing.
And wishing...
 I suppose that it wasn't the best place for him to hang out.

235...236...237...
When the last of the herd passed into the pasture, the horsemen rode up, closed the gate, and headed to the truck and trailer to put the horses in.
The kids booked it off of the haystack and over to where the horses and Daddy and Grandpa were to beg for a ride.
Ezra was lucky enough to get one.

Riding down the highway.




 Photobucket

3 comments:

Keri said...

ahhh what a fun filled day.

Staci said...

I'm afraid to drive pulling a trailer. It kind of scares me to be the passenger pulling a trailer, I'm a chicken little though.

Sounds like fun. I'm kind of sad we weren't there.

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

You guys sure know how to make work fun! You are a a great photographer too! I always love catching up on your blog.