I was going through some papers today and saw some notes from a parenting class that I went to last year (an enrichment night that my wonderful mother taught). Here are some of the things that I jotted down that I wanted to share, since we can NEVER have too much help or excellent advice in raising our children:
- Learn to be positive in your nature. Think and act positive!
- Give A LOT of praise. Children crave praise.
- Discipline with love and with the spirit.
- Discipline is not a vent for a parent's anger.
- Give the reason - not just, "because I said so."
- Remain calm (and carry on).
- Be consistent.
- THE SAVIOR IS HERE. Act as though he were right beside you.
- Direct teach, as well as opportunist teach.
- Seek first to understand and then to be understood.
And something from the handout that she put together for us:
You are the captain of your ship. Be united as parents in your discipline. Your stewardship and privilege is to teach your children correct principles. Keep your expectations high, and your negative behavior tolerance low.
Stay with it, be consistent, and your children will be blessed for your efforts.
I need to read this everyday,
to really keep things all good in the hood.
Y I P P Y
FOR
M O T H E R H O O D !
{And hooray for the wisdom of those mothers who have mothered before us!}

3 comments:
Oh wow, was this post designed especially for me? That was great, Carrie! I will look at this post often to help me keep all of that in mind. And yes, it's true, we're so lucky to have the help of our own mothers in this crazy thing called motherhood. Awesome.
It's amazing what positive comments can do to a child. I hear kids should hear 20 positives to 1 negative in order for their confidence to be strong.
Jamee
xoxo
Hurray for motherhood!!
It's such a priviledge isn't it?
Thank you so much for this post, I so agree with everything. Expecially the "I need to read this everyday"...I have printed your post out and put it on by Bathroom Mirror.
Post a Comment