I woke up at 6:15 to Spencer's voice. "Pocket knife...Aidan...creek...." I strained to open my eyes. He was talking to Weston and holding a red pocket knife in front of Weston's face. Weston's eyes were closed. Spencer and his cousin, Aidan, had found a nice, shiny pocket knife in the creek the day before. "Can I have it," he wanted to know. He
needed to know at 6:15 a.m.
"Go back to bed," Weston said. "It's too early." Spencer left the room and we fell back to sleep.
At 6:45, I woke up again - well halfway awake. Jiles was next to me. I didn't remember him coming in, or being brought in. I had stayed up too late with Weston and my mom talking (Mom and 2 nephews (7 and 5) and a neice (2) were staying the night with us - my sister, her husband and their 2 oldest are on a pioneer trek in Wyoming), and I was
not done with my night's sleep. Then I thought of Spencer, the knife, 2 boy cousins.
I asked Weston 4 times if he would check on them...knife...3 little boys...zero adult supervision. 4 times he said, "They're fine."
I had to check on them. "Then you nurse the baby, and I'll check them." I said as I pulled Jiles next to Weston and got up. Jiles started crying, and I walked out of the room and down the hall to Spencer's room. My eyes were still so sleepy and when I looked into Spencer's room I didn't see those 3 little boys. I ran downstairs and out the front door. I called Spencer's name as I looked around. I didn't see or hear anything. I walked around the house calling his name. Still nothing. I went back inside and up to his room. What in the world...all 3 of them were sleeping soundly, not a knife in sight.
Everyone in the house was still asleep, except for crying Jiles, so I climbed back into bed and fell back asleep.
At 7:15, I woke up to some ruckus coming from outside. Wagon wheels, lots of them and wooden, and someone calling for Jeremiah (whoever that is). It was a group doing a pioneer trek, the second one this summer (check
this post out about the first passing-through trek; I just posted it, but dated it the day that it happened). I had to laugh. You know you live in the wilderness when a pioneer reenactment group passes by your house.
We got breakfast, I took the knife away from Spencer, and we had a fun rest of the day playing down at the creek together with Grammie, and our cousins, Aidan, Brendan and Olivia.
 |
| Brendan, Spencer and Aidan dressed as fighter pilots (hand-me-downs from the neighbor) |
 |
| Aidan and Spencer |
 |
| Little Livy |
 |
| Kate braves the rope bridge as Spencer walks underneath |
 |
| Brendan |
 |
| Spencer and I hangin' out |
 |
| Look Mom (Grammie) no hands! |
 |
| Ezra boy |
 |
| Katie Kate |
 |
| Making a pond/dam using boots as buckets |
 |
| Jiles was entertained forever filling up his cute little boot |
 |
| You go with your adventurous self, Grammie |
 |
| Sandy bum |
 |
| Flower child |
5 comments:
Okay, I have an idea...you guys come and visit here for a week, then we'll come there for a week. Deal?
so awesome.
You must have an equivalently awesome washing machine.
I love the pix of you on the rope bridge.
Cute pictures - it looks like a fun time!
That's crazy about your groggy dilusion. It's weird when you first wake up and are confused by something. It takes a while for your head to clear.
So was Spencer really talking to Weston the first time, then went back to bed? Or was that a dream you had?
Funny that people are trekking right by your door! Check our blog, I just posted about our trek!
I laughed about the comment to weston: "You nurse the baby, and I'll check on the boys."
Sometimes you just do it all.
Awesome dress up clothes.
You are such a cool mom.
Jamee
xoxo
Post a Comment