Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Salting

Photobucket

It snowed today. SNOWED. It's May, for crying out loud. We're supposed to be picking strawberries and smelling fresh-bloomed honeysuckle.

Oh yeah, I live in Idaho - not Virginia anymore. And that's okay and all, but I could go for some of that other stuff, like strawberries and honeysuckle; and while we're at it, I could really go for some humidity and nice, hydrated, supple, feminine hands and skin - not dry, cracking, bleedy, 90-year-old hands and skin.

I shouldn't complain. I am glad that I have hands. And skin.

Weston invited us to go salt cows with him up towards the basin. Translation: Drive the suburban up a particular mountain road and put salt blocks out for the cows that are up there, for them to lick to their little hearts' desire. We went. It was cold. It snowed - nothing stuck though. We looked for bears, but all we saw in the way of wildlife was one deer and one rockchuck. And lots of cows, if you count them as wild.

Photobucket

Here's a picture (below) of part of the ranch as we were coming back down. Things are really pretty and green right now, but as soon as it gets hot it will all dry up and turn brown really quickly. The rain is nice, but it could be a tad warmer and still be green.

Photobucket

In other news, the 2 older children have 17 days left of school! School was going to get out on June 3rd, but now it is May 28! I feel as though I am a pregnant lady who just got her due date moved forward. I hear that they changed it due to lack of funds. I'm sad that our county is short on funds, yet happy that we are out earlier.

Photobucket

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I am so happy that summer vacation just moved up for you, yet I feel that we two are sisters in the hood of humidity and sun and sad that it isn't coming faster for you.

It could be a little warmer in my neck of the woods anytime soon bytheway...
Jamee
xoxo

Jamon said...

I think cows are wild, but that's just me.

Keri said...

Doesnt this weather just bite the big one. seriously. I agree. Im ready for the warm weather as well. But thanks to all the wondeful Valcano Eruptions in Iceland it looks as though this cold weather will be lingering with us longer then we would want. Thanks valcano Ash for blocking our sunlight from the ocean. I think thats why I was gonna take a summer off from our garedn im worried the weathers gonna be on on the cold side this year. Man you really do live out in the bonnies. Its so beautiful out there though. it would be fun to come visit for sure sometime.