Yesterday, Kate, Ezra, Jiles and I followed a trail - a tractor trail. We had seen a tractor head up over the hill (where the white arrow is pointing in the picture below) and, since it was lunchtime, we thought it would be a good idea to take our rancher some lunch.
We (mainly Kate) packed a picnic lunch and we headed out on the 4-wheeler. We had to go pretty far. Over and behind Dragon's Back (that big hill in the picture above). The field was oh so bumpy. And Jiles was oh so squirmy. I had to hold onto him with one hand and drive with the other. That's hard, especially on this out-of-alignment 4-wheeler. To tell you the truth, I was out of my comfort zone. I was frustrated with Jiles because he was so squirmy and hard to hold onto, my arm was tired from trying to keep the 4-wheeler driving straight (and I couldn't switch arms because the accelerator is only on the right handlebar), the bumps were annoying, and I was a little leery of mountain lions (our neighbors said that they had seen one sort of where we were going).
I wasn't even sure that Weston was where we thought he might be. When we got around on the other side of Dragon's back, I didn't see Weston. I was about to turn around - just one more corner. And then, lo and behold, HoorAH! There he was...
We were sooooo glad to see him. And he us, and our picnic basket. He was hungry.

After we ate some pbj's, fruit and what not, we farmed with the rancher; that is, we piled into John Deere and took a few spins around the field throwing seed - oats and dry-land alfalfa - out via the seed drill (implement that is hooked onto the back of the tractor).

Weston showed us how it all worked and we threw seed up into the air. I tried to take a picture of it:

No can see seed.
On the way back Kate and Ezra rode in the tractor with Daddy - he was done planting. Jiles rode with me, and this may be TMI (too much info), but I nursed him while driving back through that bumpy field - awkward, but he fell asleep and it was a whole lot easier to drive with him that way.
It's now Friday evening and Weston, Spencer, Ezra and Grandpa have headed over to "Ireland" for the fathers and sons campout with a bunch of other fathers and their sons from church. Kate, Jiles are bathed and jammied up and we are heading up to have girl's (and baby's) night with Grandma.
Have a great weekend!




4 comments:
You are so funny. I remember nursing one of my cheelrun whilst cooking dinner at the stove and trying to pass off someones reading books for school. Your story is better.
I'm Jealous.
Jamee
xoxo
seriously, every post lately has made me wanna uproot my family and head over to the mainland and start our life on a farm, though i know nothing about farm life. man!!
and picnics!! one of my favorite things!!!
Have you tried throwing your left leg on over the handle bar to even out the mal-allignment? Works sufficiently...
Post a Comment