Saturday, March 6, 2010

spider, hot-dogs, and chicky eggs

'Member swinging like thiss
sPiDeR sTyLe s
Photobucket
That was today.

Weenie and marshmallow roast - last night.
Photobucket
(Grandma, Kate, Ezra, Grandpa, Spencer, Jiles)

We've had some sweet weather lately. Super nice. We've been playing outside getting major spring fever.

This week, after gathering the eggs from the hen house, we've been putting them in a basket on the table, instead of the refrigerator, so that we could put them in the incubator to hatch them out.

Kate counting them...
Photobucket
...29.

And here they go into the incubator...
Photobucket
We rotate them 3x a day. I put an X on one side and a O on the other so we can tell if they've been rotated or not.

I broke one egg when I was writing the X ... weak egg! So now there are only 28. They take 21-ish days to hatch, so they should be here around March 27th. We'll (hopefully) have little chicks running 'round on Easter. We've never done this before; cross your fingers that it works.
Photobucket

9 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Oh! I hope it works...for the kids sake, and Easters sake!!
Jamee
xoxo

Holly Emerson said...

Are they all fertilized? That's cool! I wish I could buy a chick from you. I would love to have some chickens, but no roosters.

Megan and Keli'i said...

You guys have way too much fun over there!

Jamon said...

That looks way fun. We would love to buy a house with some land so we could have some farm animals.

Ammon said...

hatching is fun. i've done it with chickens and ducks. what is really fun is watching them grow and keeping them tame. the best part though is when they are old enough to walk because you can get them to follow you around.

Natalie in Sparks said...

I totally remember swinging spider style!
The campfire looks fun.
good luck with the hatching. I remember we had an incubator in my kindergarten class, and we learned about the life cycle of a chick in the egg. We watched them trying to hatch out and everything! It was so exciting! I hope it works!
We went the easy route and just got some chicks from green's feed on saturday. We got 10 of them for free, cause it was "chick day" where for every bag you buy of start and grow you get 5 free chicks! They are so cute!

Unknown said...

I want a chick for Easter! I love your swing pictures! This one looks especially fun. Good luck on your eggs!

The Mrs. said...

YES!!!!!!!!
I hope you know what I am talking about!!!!!!!
Jamee
xoxo

liko said...

you guys are gonna have one awesome Easter!!!
and i miss the days when i could swing like that...ah.