Weston's mom called me tonight at about 7.
"Go and lock your doors if they aren't already locked, then I'll tell you something."
She and Weston's dad live about 100 yards away from us. I was alone with the kids and his mom was alone, too.
My heart fluttered. I ran downstairs with Jiles on my hip and the phone still to my ear, locked all the doors and quick-stepped it back upstairs.
"Okay. They're locked. What's up?"
She told me this, more or less: One of the neighbors had called her and said that she and her husband had seen a sweatshirt on our dirt road on their way home this evening and they picked it up thinking that it might be one of ours. Then a little farther they saw sweatpants and sunglasses. Odd.
Then they found a note in one of the pockets. It said, "This is a hold-up. I have a gun..."
They called the police. They found out that there had been a robbery of a credit union about 40 minutes away from us at around 4:30 this afternoon.
Eek!
I got off of the phone. Spencer sensed something was up and we said a prayer for comfort and safety.
Weston's mom came over so that neither of us had to be alone. She showed me how to make cottage cheese and she read a book about frogs to Ezra.
Then our neighbor called. It was the robber's clothes and note. On our road. In the early evening sometime while the kids were out playing on the woodpile! He was trying to ditch the clothes that he was wearing so that he wouldn't be recognized. On OUR road!! How freaky is that? It totally gives me the freaky-chills.
Our neighbor told us that the police had caught him. He was about 45 minutes away (and with $2000).
PHEW!
I'm still keeping the doors locked.
9 comments:
You're so brave; I would have peed my pants! ;) Happy you're locked in safe. Side note: love the new header!
I would never expect all this fugitive/marijuana dealers excitement on your little-house-on-the-prarie ranch. Making cottage cheese and hiding out from a bank robber?? Its just doesn't go together.
Crazy! At least you know he got caught.
ohmy goodness this is the second time. how does this kind of stuff happen around you quit little house. its always a great comfort to knwo the Lord is always be your side and will protect. Im glad you were able to find some comfort and creat some fun things that everything to take your mind off of it. geez I cant even imagine Carrie. how freaky. how sweet for spencer to pray. i love that boy. very in tune.
CARRIE!
Have you read the book-Letters of a Woman Homesteader? Maybe you should write your own book>in any case, you are building up some pretty great stories to tell your grandkids. I'm glad you are all safe.
Love, Wendy
That's crazy! Another exciting post from the andelin empire!
Wheww!! I'm glad I found out about this AFTER the fact, or it would have been a real floor pacer for me, since I live an hour and a half away. I am amazed at sweet Tia for conquering her fears and coming down to be with you!
Isn't Idaho crazy? I grew up outside of L.A., but I hear more about bank and convenience store robberies here than I have ever heard in my life. One time I was subbing at a school here in Boise and we were placed in lock-down because there was a bank robbery nearby. I have a friend that was a prison gaurd and she told me that 85-90% of the crime that happens in Idaho is related to meth. So sad.
But so glad to hear you are safe.
SCARY! I am glad they caught him. I guess you are never safe from scary people, even in Ola.... you just never know.
Post a Comment