
The line's been up for like 3 or 4 weeks now. I used it for the first week or so. Then it just got too dang cold out and the clothes would freeze solid. This week it has neared 40 degrees. Hallelujah that it is above freezing.
So these FuzziBunz (website)...FuzziBunz (blog)...
The midwife put one on Jiles when he was first born. I thought that it was the cutest diaper ever. And I liked the whole idea of them. So we bought 12 of them. We got to hand pick which ones we wanted.

(Some of the girly ones have flowers on them.)
They are microfiber fleece on the inside (no diaper rash!) and gortex-like on the outside and have a bunch of snaps to adjust the tightness on the waste. (How's that for a description?)
Anyway, I like them. He has been wearing these same 12 diapers since birth - actually only 11 because the 12th one I picked pink, just in case next baby is a girl (okay, he's worn it a few times). He will probably outgrow them in the next month or 2. I'm not sure whether or not to buy the next size up or not. ? ? ? For $ reasons alone. Any opinions?
I'm not a total cloth junkie though. I do use disposables, too, for convenience when we aren't at home, but at home try to just use the cloth diapers.


As far as ClothesLines and the hanging of clothes there upon > > >
LOVE.
#1 reason: the overall therapeutic quality of the activity
2nd #1 reason: the SMELL! I love how a blanket or a basket full of clotheslined laundry fresh from outside can make a whole room freshen.
2nd reason: the great view. Looking at hung laundry flap in the breeze is so peaceful and so country.
I also like these reasons found on simple mom dot net. Their reasons are more concrete than my reasons. And I really like their site.
One of the best feelings in the world is being exhausted from playing and working hard all day outside and slipping (freshly showered) into a bed with crisp, line-dried sheets and smelling the outdoors as you sail away to sleep!
11 comments:
We line dry all our clothes too!! I get so sad in the winter when I am forced to lay out clothes all over my very tiny laundry room which then forces me to use my dryer. Of course I like saving energy but the big reason I used the line is just bc I like then way to clothes come out better (except for towels. they get scratchy).
Ok I had a question about the diapers. I've always wanted to try them but ( I know this might sound obvious and gross) but doesn't it get tiring washing out all that poo! I mean where do you rinse it? In the bathroom sink, kitchen, outside? I feel like I already have so many poopy butts to wipe let alone another baby..it's butt...then it's diaper too.
Your brave to do it in the cold...brrrr....
Jamee
xoxo
love the pics. I wish I had half the love of crispy air dried laundry as you do. I can only imagine how wonderful the outdoors must smell inside you warm cozy house. For this Tom Girl I have never been one for crispy, scratchy laundry. ohhhhhh the thought of lined dried jeans just makes me want to snuggle up in some warm fleece jammies. LOL youre a great country wife carrie. I too would love the sight of laundry floating in the wind. just the thought beings a ton of energy inside my soul. what a wonderful idea to help save money and bring the outdoors inside.
PS those diapers do look fun! I say buy the next size up you'll save money in the long run and have diapers to save for the 5th.
I meant Tom Boy instead of Tom Girl. . LOL
hey carrie
i need yours and weston's help on leslie's christmas present. can you email me ammonandelin@gmail.com .
i sent you an email at scarriebeth@yahoo.com a while back (2 weeks). can you check it or email or call me?
Thanks
genius little diaper things. very cute.
oh, and i left a comment in the previous post (another one), but it wouldn't do you much good if i didn't leave this:
massageliko@aol.com
(my email, i'm an LMT...that's why. i know, i should've made it lmtliko, but oh well...)
I have about 6 of the size medium fuzzy bunz and Andee will never grow out of them. She is still on the smallest setting and 5 more months until she is two. I say if you love them - buy them. You save buckets of money. Did you know you can buy them used ... and that goes for yours too - you can sell them when you are done and so it is really an investment!
I have these others that I bought on Ebay from China ... they were WAY cheaper ... like $5 each instead of $20 ... and the poop rolls off 'em much better than the fuzzy buns (that is when they start eating real food) and they have more adjusting options. It is one size only ... adjustable snaps for the draw and adjustable snaps for the waist. The only problemo is the need one more snap (which I have a snap press) and so if you are interested I would be more than happy to give you the info and you have the diapers shipped to me and then I could fix them and mail them to you.
Just another option to throw out there for you.
I love Fuzzibunz, too! We've been using them since Belen was a few weeks old (I was nervous about using them until her umbilical cord stump fell off and healed). we've got the one-sized ones that supposedly fit until they're potty trained and they've been fabulous so far. (I can't believe you put a pink one on your little boy. *gasp*) I would definitely support you buying more. We have 18 and it works well. By the time they start getting a tad stinky (about 2 days), they're almost all used up and ready to be washed. I also tried to get gender-neutral colors like green, yellow, and purple (okay, I'm still undecided if it's gender-neutral, but at least it isn't PINK!:-)), and white so if I do have a boy, I can still use them. Do you have cloth wipes as well? I've also heard that babies using cloth diapers potty train faster. I'm curious to hear from someone if that's actually true.
I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather and hanging clothes to dry. Te admiro mucho for that. I figure I'm saving a ton of space in a landfill with the greatly reduced amount of disposable diapers that perhaps it will make up for the dryer use.
Jill, thanks for the tips! I didn't even think of looking an Ebay. Genius! I'll have to try that! I'll let you know what I find.
Maria, so far with the poop it's been the easy breastfed poop so it really hasn't been too bad. If there are a lot of diapers with a lot of poop in them, then I'll run my washing machine once on rinse to get the majority of the poop out and down the drain where it needs to be before doing a normal wash. But most of the time one normal washing on the "active" cycle, which is a few minutes longer, with hot water and a half scoop of Charlie's soap will do the job fine. It really isn't that big of a deal. I wash them usually every other or third day.
And I do use my dryer, people. I don't mean to come off as this major enviro-girl. I think those things are good and great, but I do also love the modern conveniences of such things as dryers. In the winter when it is snowing, raining or just super cold, I definitely use it. Or when I'm just plain lazy, in a hurry or just don't feel like hanging them. I don't put cloth diapers in the dryer ever so that they will last longer, so it's either hang them on the line or on a chair in front of the wood stove. I love hanging them on the line because it helps them to get bleached by the sun and air out any possible remainders of the nast-ishness of urine! :)
Carrie;
I love that you do hang clothes on the line! I did when the weather allowed, and all of you LOVED to climb into your lined dried sheets to sleep... As for lined dried towels, they soften right up after drying on the line if you slip them into the dryer with a fabric softener sheet for just a few minutes...(Actually, your gramma used to "snap them" (shake them hard) before folding, and they would soften up quite a bit). Drying towels on the line or a rack REALLY saves, as they take sooo long to dry in the dryer.
Love you!
Mom
Post a Comment