"A do what now?
Music?
Me?
Teach?"
Me. ?
.
.
.
Well folks, say howdy to the new Chorister of the Primary Children round our parts: Moi.
Yes, me who's musical talents extend to locating the general area of middle C on the piano, lulling my young'uns to dreamland with not-so-on key melodies, and pressing the button with the sideways triangle - I hear it's also referred to as the "play" button - on various makes, models, sizes, and even colors of stereos. I am tal. en. ted. That's fer sures.
And to tell you the truth, I am absolutely and totally NOT not EXCITED about this new calling. Double negative = I positively AM excited about it. I really am stoked to learn about music and all. Plus, I love those kids already, I love the primary songs, and I really do like singing - just not always in front of people and especially not by myself. But that is pretty much what happens: solos every week. However, I figure if I act like I don't care if my voice is cracking and squeaking on the way up and out of my throat, then I really won't care. At least, I don't think I will. Hmm. The other adults might. But I don't think that the kids will.
And an added bonus to all of this: the pianist (well for just one of the hours) is really cute (really) and really good at the piano. {Psssstt... the pianist is Weston.} So it has been/will be fun to work along side him. And to sit close beside him on the piano bench in primary whenever I'm not leading.

And pianos? Piano. We have wanted to get one for a while now anyway, but with me being called to be the chorister and especially with Weston being the pianist, the need was more legit and pressed. To make a long story short, Weston's parents gave us our Christmas present early (so that we wouldn't go out and buy a piano in the interim). It is a Roland electric piano that has been in their family for a while. It can record songs and play them back; it has a volume control (LOVE that), sound effects, headphone thing, etc. Nice.
I LOVE hearing Weston play the piano in our home and the spirit that floods in with it!
Here, hear. Have a listen.
Song he is playing:
Children's Songbook p 100
Teaching song with really high notes = unchartered territory for Carrie = squeaks and squeels from Carrie = a bit scary.

I'll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine: I'll go where you want me to go."
LDS Hymn Book p 270
And I'll sing if you want me to sing.
post script: Weston's Mom said that she would teach me piano lessons. kewl! And she is the new Primary President! :)
5 comments:
Oh my goodnes Carrie, that is too funny. There are certain callings we may think we are safe from. I remember when the primary chorister in our last ward was released. I had also been released and thought "they would never call me to that because I'm not musical" OH NO. Looking back leading the primary children is probably the best kept secret in the church. Count yourself so so blessed. Knowing you, you will make TOTALLY rise above and LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
We had a truly awesome chorister in our ward for awhile - her secret? - she was fun and creative! The kids will love your energy. One of her tricks was simple but effective. She filled a small squirt bottle with lemonade and called it "singing spray" as the kids sang the songs she would go around and give them a squirt. They loved it! and were so motivated to get some "singing spray". Good luck.
The two most necessary things about being primary chorister: 1. Be there, and 2. Be fun.
You are going to do great! Think of yourself as an entertainer, cause you will be. And kids just like to hear the words, they really can't tell if you hit the right notes.
Fun!!! Ditto to all the above- you will be so great. I am sorta kinda jealous...that is my secret dream calling- not so much because I have musical skills...definitely not so...I just think it would be fun. Good luck.
PS...your kids are so cute (in reference to post above) and make me so excited for all that lies ahead with our lil fam!
Post a Comment