Thursday, July 2, 2009

chimp-bit anniversary

This is the pretty little lady, Ellie.

Ellie with my thumb (L)

This is a picture of my thumb up against a picture of her on the computer screen. (Just in case you were wondering.)

.
11 years ago today, she nearly bit my thumb off. It was barely hanging on. Because of her, I had to get stitches and a splint (cuz she crushed my thumb in her teeth), and spend 2 nights in the hospital. The docs were afraid that I might fall victim to some sort of primate disease.
But I didn't. At least, I don't think I did.

My thumb is a little flatter now, and I have a scar that looks like the lower case letter y. It is a little numb now, too. My nail will never be the same. But that's okay. Because, for one, I still have a thumb, and for two, I'll always remember dear, sweet Ellie the chimp whenever I push really hard on something with my thumb and it feels weird, or when I try to cut my thumbnail to look half-way normal, or when I look at that bump and Y scar. (Scars are cool memories like that.) Thanks Ellie Belle.
.
Don't believe me? Here's proof. This is the big boss man (who happens to be Weston's uncle) telling the story at a family reunion 2 years ago.

Thanks, Ammon, for the video.

Interesting note: This same day, 11 years ago, was Weston's "hump day" in the mission field.

1 comment:

Cameron said...

poor thumb! I am glad you didn't lose it!
The only damage we got from Ellie was our camera from her throwing poop at it! (remember that at the reunion?)
Natalie