Saturday, May 2, 2009

First Week

Photobucket
It has been a happy/long/fast/sore/healing/short-of-sleep/thankful/blessed/served/lovely week. And a week that neither I, nor my family, could have survived without my mother (but that's a topic for another post).

And I am totally in love. 5 times over now.

Here's a QUICK overview of my labor and delivery story, for any of whom care to know:

Friday, April 24th - I was timing contractions pretty much all day (mind you all week I was thinking "THIS is the day"). They were really getting stronger and closer together.
7:30 p.m. - Bathed kids and took them for a walk with Weston pulling them in the wagon (and Weston's cousin Trent was with us) around Mom and Dad's neighborhood.
9:30 p.m. - Contractions between 2 and 5 minutes apart so we decided to go in.
10:30 p.m. - I am dilated to between a 6 and 7.
11:15 p.m. - Go to sleep on the cozy, yummy smelling sheets of queen-sized bed at the birthing center.
2:45 a.m.-3:45 a.m.- Waking up every 8-10 minutes with very strong contractions.
3:45 a.m.- Wake the midwife.
3:45 a.m.- 5:10ish a.m. - Contractions getting closer and closer, and more and more painful.
5:?? a.m. - Feel the need to push.
5:23 a.m. - Little man joins us in this world after about 3 contractions/pushes. YES!!

It was longer than Ezra's delivery (his was only about 4 painful contractions total before he was born, this one was like 30). And, um, yes, very painful. Cuz this is how I brought him into the world:
100% NaTuR-aL. Not a LICK of meds.
"Why?" you may ask.
I don't know.
I mean, I do, of course. I love the whole, well everything about going with a midwife: no I.V.'s; big, cozy bed; jacuzzi tub; eat and drink whatever and whenever you want; more control; etc. Soooo much more comfortable. Not to mention (well, I'm mentioning it), the homemade bread toast and scrambled eggs they make you after the delivery. Yummies.
The ONLY thing I don't like is pretty much the RING OF FIRE! Which I guess is a pretty major thing about the whole process. Any of you know how that feels? Like...OWIES TO THE MAX!
Weston told me just after delivery, "I am not making you go through that again." That must be pretty traumatic for a husband to watch his wife go through so much pain.
But all of that is not thought of now. We are too busy LOVIN' ON the outcome: the sweet, sweet baby JILES!
Jiles 5 days old
I think that he is pretty much the same size in this picture as he is in real life; at least on my computer. He's 5 days old in these pix. He's 7 days old today. Poor thing was circumsized on the day of the pictures, a few hours after they were taken. (I watched the whole circumcision...crazy...) He's healing good though. And he is now, well 2 days ago, 7 lbs 3 oz; 1 ounce heavier than his birth weight. He'll chub up in no time, I'm sure, like all the rest.

14 comments:

Laurie said...

Thanks for all the birth details--I love them! My fourth didn't go as quickly as my third either (and I was trying for natural). Anyhooo, 10 pounds 10 ounces will do that to you! (As it was the epidural didn't work right and wore off when I was pushing his ginormous head out, so I should still get some credit.)

Such a sweet picture. Is that a cowlick on his forehead? It looks like it's in same place as my Gabe's.

Keri said...

Man what a blessing to go into labor during the night. you were able to bath your kids spend some nice family time and the nwhile their little sleepy heads rest baby jiles comes. coldnt be any better. Man I hear ya on the ring of fire. That is the most miserable experience in this world. my body has never taken well to the epidural so i have been forced to deliver natural after thinking 3 times i was druged up but nope. im glad you survived. I cant believe you can eat and drink whatever i would be so scared to get sick. but im sure it makes it a nicer more comfortable ride. And the nice bed wow girl thats awesome. Did weston get to sleep with you too. that would feel so cozy and comfy.

Jiles is simply beautiful. I cant tell who he looks like yet? more like Kate I think dontcha think. Well i made my bread and the car idea worked perfect for rising the bread. thanks.

love ya Keri

Dad in Chile said...

Carrie, even for an old guy on a mission with all my kids grown up, your post brought tears of happiness and sweetness to my eyes. Of course tears come a lot when I think of my wonderful family. The plan of happiness..... yeah, I'm glad we are all living it.

Eaton Family said...

Congratulations! He is so sweet!!! You are a crazy woman - but it sounds like it wasn't THAT bad! At this rate it looks like you're going for 7 like your sister - but it looks like they couldn't ask for a better mom!

You have the most beautiful family!

Ali said...

I love hearing birth stories! Thanks for sharing. He is a beautiful baby!

Holly said...

Congrats Carrie! He's absolutely beautiful! Way to go!

Unknown said...

He is sooooo cute! I can't wait to see him! He looks so soft and I can only imagine what kind of goodness he smells like. You're a lucky lady.
Lylas, Julie

Unknown said...

By the way, I think he looks like Ezra.

The 5 Wolzie's said...

Another cute Andelin baby!! Glad to hear things went okay. I love all the pics of baby and of the kids in leg warmers (I didn't think of them as armwarmers too!) now I really need to go buy some! Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Natalie in Sparks said...

An amazing experience, and so worth it! It's like immediate joy when they are born too, like all the pain just disappears because your baby is with you and you are done with labor!
It's kind of like running a long hard race. It is hard and you have to endure, but it feels SO good when you are done!

Mikkel Williams said...

Carrie,

That was so fun to check out your blog and see what you've been up to this year. My how life has changed since Hawaii- Ten years ago, can you believe it. Anyhow, I love that you are living on a farm. How exciting. I grew up on a farm.
What beautiful babies you have. (I guess all of them are not babies.) I loved all the delivery details. I'll be having a baby soon too. I'm trying to decide on the All Natural thing. I did my last one natural-- but it wasn't a choice, she came too quickly. Anyhow, hope the very best for you. Check out our blog- www.chrisandmikkel.blogspot.com
I don't keep up on it regularly. Maybe someday!!
Take care,
Mikkel

Krissy said...

Congrats!!! You are the woman! Baby Jiles is such a sweetie...can't wait to meet him in person! Adorable!

Keeepin' Up With The Jones' said...

Carrie, he is wonderful, a perfect baby all the way!!!!!! And I do agree with the others, he looks like your daughter and younger son, congrats!!!!!!

Megan and Keli'i said...

Holy freak, Carrie! You are my hero! Au naturale! I'd have to pass on that one. I don't mind the IVs or anything. My epidural didn't take with Aiken and I pretty much wanted to die, so I opt for meds...lots of them, but I'm a wuss. He's adorable. Perfect. And I know what you mean about protective husbands! I couldn't stop bleeding after this last pregnancy (I would've died without current meds!) and I'll be lucky to get another kiddo if it's up to the big Hawaiian. MIss you girl! Wish you were still in Nevada...I'm going home in June. Chad's finally getting married!