This is the mare, or "girl horse" as the kids call her.
And the gelding, or "boy horse".
Weston and I are not what you would call "horse people". I am an admirer of them - I think that they are beautiful - and way back when, I would ride with my best friend Edie on her sweet horses all over our back woods. But that was a long time ago. Weston would like a good horse to get cows - horses are so much more practical than 4-wheelers on those steep mountain trails and in the thick brush.
Alan, the ranch hand, on the other hand, used to train race horses, exercise polo horses, drive a team with a wagon on some Bar-T 5 thing in Jackson, Wyoming, among other impressive horse related things. He is not in the least bit scared of them and handles them extremely well.
So now that you have assesed the credentials, can you guess who is training the horses? Yes, very good, it's me.
Okay, joking. Admiring them would not get me very far, now would it? It's only Alan. And he got right to it too - the next day. He started with the mare. Kate watched the mare as Alan walked her around.
And so did the boys.

Weston tried to bond with his potential pet.

After a while Alan got on her. She did fairly well, even at the beginning; except for the freak-out when he first tried to mount her and she bolted forward leaving him to land on the ground behind her(on his feet though..he was half expecting it).
If you are thinking that he looks a bit big for her, you're right, he is. He's big and she's small.
So can these wild abandoned animals be tamed, and trusted to carry our children even? Will they show enough promise and improvement to be "let on" at the ranch?
"Can do!" says the ranch hand.
"They're cute!" says the daughter friend.
"Doubt it." says the boss man.
We'll see. I guess by October 11th.
13 comments:
My parents have 3 horses. I, however, do not enjoy horses. I think they can smell the fear on me, from 200 yards way. There is something about riding living things. I hope they training goes well. They would make a fun pet.
You would be very brave to ever ride one. You have to promise me that you will stick up for me the moment Jamon tries to get me on one! Even the tame ones scare me. It would be fun to watch there progress though!
what a cute story. Man Im not sure I could trust them with my kids though. but you never know. You can never underestimate the power love. hopefully you'll be a belt o love these animals into a new and exciting culture for them.It will be fun to follow this story with you. good luck
oh wow and I just saw you cute picture of baby #4. congrats. how fun. congrats.
love the new background. So great and congrats on baby number 4! So cool! You guys have so much going on it's nuts! I love horses by the way. Hope it all works out.
That is so neat that you have Alan there is who can do the training and evaluating of the horses. How many hands is the mare and the gelding? You are right. Nothing beats chasing cows on some terrain with a horse versus a 4-wheeler. How is Star Dust and Brownie doing?
I love your background. HOw did you do it?
Hey Carriebear! Congrats on having more kids! :) Why haven't we been to see you?! It looks like you are having so much fun on the ranch. I'll have to take the kids up! Or you'll have to stop by on one of your many trips to Boise! See ya
I love reading your blog...such great adventures. What will come next?
Hi Carrie,
Susan showed me your blog and I love it! It's like old home week. I love your pictures. I also want ot know how you did the collage of pictures.
Debbie Olmstead - your former Chesterfield neighbor-who-is-currently-in-Wisconsin.
Very fun! I love horses, but I have NO IDEA how to take care of them, so GOOD LUCK! I love the picture of you with all of your kiddies! You're too beautiful, Miss Carrie! And I love ya!
I love your background! It was worth the work.
Now I really really want to come and visit you guys out on your ranch. Please invite us over soon.:-)
By the way, the background/wallpaper (whatever you call it) looks great on your blog. Definitely worth all the hard work you put into it.
Post a Comment